Saving the forest

Saving the Forest

Rain had just started to pour as Dr Bernard Napokan, a 50 year old Englishman, hastily climbed into his jeep. He put the key in the ignition and the engine began rumbling. He was travelling through the Papua New Guinea rainforest. He wanted to clear land to build a resort. Bernard had just walked out of his caravan and had nearly stepped on Lady, a four year old poodle; white and female. He was going to tell the Huli that he was clearing land. Bernard was bald, short and chubby. He had a small button nose and green eyes.

Mr Napokan had just arrived at the village of the Huli tribe. He enthusiastically took out his loud speaker and boomed in his deep voice, “Hello citizens of Papua New Guinea. I have come to warn you of some logging.” Bernard heard murmurs in the crowd. “And I am telling you that you will have to move out tomorrow.” More murmurs could be heard. “I have arranged for a removal truck to come tomorrow to move your huts. I will see you tomorrow morning.” He drove away laughing.

Tepui was a short scruffy boy who was a member of the Huli tribe. He was very passionate about rainforests. He heard about the logging and he was upset. This was his home. In fact he was so upset he set a trap. The trap was made from wood from fallen logs, a strong vine and sap from trees to hold the wood together. Tepui assembled the trap in front of Bernard’s caravan. The next day Bernard woke up feeling very excited and shouted, “Today I will finally conquer Papua New Guinea.” He got dressed in his best suit and ate scrambled eggs for breakfast. Dr Napokan walked outside with his nose in the air. Crash! Down came the trap and Tepui jumped out from behind the trees. “Got you!” exclaimed Tepui. “You - take this off me,” screamed Mr Napoleon. “Never,” cried Tepui. “Get this off me!” “Ah, Ah!” Bernard called the truck driver to come and help him out. Five minutes later, he arrived. He took his knife out and cut the vine. Bernard got up and marched into his caravan.

Later, Mr Napokan went for a walk. The large green leaves twinkled through raindrops in the bright blue sky. Bernard silently trod through the leaf litter in the rainforest. He noticed daylight scattered across the forest floor. He also saw pumas creeping upon prey and birds caring for their young. He put his hand on a leaf and felt its smooth surface. He looked at all the brightly coloured macaws. He felt the sticky air and heard the squawking animals. Bernard felt happy and thought to himself, “Why do I want to cut down the rainforest to build a stupid resort? I already have hundreds of resorts.” Bernard decided that he couldn’t hurt the rainforest. It was too beautiful.
By Isabelle Day Year 4 Magill Primary School

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!