Fallen hero

Fallen Heroes

Suddenly the iron door swung open, allowing light to pour into the prison cell. A guard dressed in the red and yellow armour of the Dragon Empire, with a spear in one hand and a short sword on his belt, stepped into the cell, the guard’s name was Hong. Hong took a look around the cell, there wasn’t much inside except for a plate and a cup. Hong and the other guards hadn’t dared give the prisoner even a spoon for fear that he could use it as a weapon and escape.

“Zhu,” said Hong, “time to meet your maker so get up and if you have any gods you wish to pray to you’d better start praying.” Zhu didn’t move. “Hey did you hear me? Time to get up” Zhu still didn’t move. A new figure moved into view and stepped inside the cell. Hong began to shake with fear at the appearance of the new comer, for though Hong had never seen one, he had no doubt what so ever that the thing that was now in the cell with him, was a Fallen.

The Fallen had all been human once and had all been great heroes during their life time but all heroes die eventually. Five hundred years ago a necromancer was hired by the Dragon Empire to resurrect fallen heroes to serve as an elite guard for the Emperor. Thus the Fallen were created. “I’ll handle this” said the Fallen. “Ye… Yes sir,” replied Hong. The Fallen walked over to Zhu and as if invisible hands had grabbed him, Zhu was lifted to his feet and dragged from the cell.

Zhu was escorted by a troop of guards to a carriage outside the prison. The carriage took him to the city square where a crowd of people had come to see the execution. As Zhu was forced on to the executioner’s block he began thinking back on his life. He had been a blacksmith, farmer, mercenary and an assassin. After just three years as an assassin, he had become one of the most deadly in the whole of the Empire. Two years after, he was approached by the mysterious rebel group Zig, meaning shadow in the old tongue. They asked for Zhu’s help and offered many gold pieces in return. Zhu had no love for the Empire and saw this as an excellent way to become rich. Two years after joining Zig, Zhu was captured during an assassination attempt on the Emperor. Soon after, the Emperor learned that Zig’s main forces were hidden in Frost Forest and sent his army’s to destroy them. The rebels were well trained and fought bravely but they were just simply out numbered and were crushed by the overwhelming numbers of the Dragon Army.

Zhu was suddenly jerked back to the present. The executioner was standing right beside Zhu now and lifted his axe. Zhu closed his eyes and prepared himself for death. The axe came down.

Nicholas Ang
Year 9

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!