Nasa's trip to the moon

In America, 2020 NASA was still trying to build a space shuttle which would store enough fuel to complete a trip to Mars. Some satellites had been taking photos of the Moon and Mars. They had sent them back to Earth and the scientists had noticed that both planets had major similarities.
NASA had a great idea! The scientists thought, that if they send a shuttle to the moon, they could do some research to see how different the Moon was to Mars. “Beagle”(NASA space probe) had already explored the surface of Mars.
The scientists quickly gathered their equipment together and started working furiously.
A few years later, the plans were finally ready to test. NASA. took the rocket to the launch pad.12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1…… Engines working successfully!
The following day the astronauts walked along the air bridge to prepare for lift off. John Dahl, William Sparrow, Ian Edmond and Clark Pearson were ready for take off. 12,11,10, 9, 8,7,6, main engines on,5,4,3,2,1,0. “We have a lift off , I repeat, we have a lift off.”
Meanwhile in the shuttle, “all systems functioning A-OK” said Ian cheerfully. “That’s great to hear!” said John.

At ground control one of the radars had picked up readings from an asteroid which was on direct course for the space shuttle. They quickly sent up a warning to the astronauts. John received the warning and shouted out to everyone to “change the ship's course immediately! An asteroid is on a direct course to the shuttle and time is running out” They all worked together to change the course of the rocket and to avoid the asteroid…. They were extremely frightened!

Finally, the astronauts were able to change the course of the ship.
“Great, the asteroid has left us, said John
“Yes!” Cheered the rest of the astronauts.”
“We are approaching the moon” said Clark to Ian.”
“Prepare to land and get your equipment on and ready” said John.
The shuttle landed smoothly and carefully. William, Clark and Ian climbed out in their space suits and put the American flag in a small dusty crater once again. They all went taking photos and samples. William suddenly said “I’m running out of air”. He quickly ran to the ship, even though it was difficult to. He managed to get to the shuttle except he fainted because of not being able to breathe. Ian, Clark and John, ran to William and helped to take him into the shuttle. They released his helmet and put a mask on William’s mouth.
“William, wake up, come on!!’’ said Clark.
“Where am I?” said William suddenly.
"You’re alive” said Clark and John together
“I know I am, but where am I?” said William strangely.
“You’re in a space shuttle on the moon.”
“Oh really! This is a funny sort if place isn’t it?”
“Well, not really” said John replying, worried that his mate had gone crazy.
John said to Ian “I have a bad feeling that he has got Amnesia! We must contact NASA! He is the only one of us who can use the main shuttle system.
Later on, Clark said that they will give him lessons on how to use the system, on the radio. Clark didn’t think he could do it but he accepted the challenge.
The astronauts sat William up so that they could go back and do some more research on the Moon’s surface.
“Can we have pizza now?” said William strangely once again. “Let’s go swimming!”
“No William” said Clark as he came in with everyone else.
“Who is William again?” asked William
“You, silly!” said John, rolling his eyes.

“John, Ian, NASA taught me how to use the main shuttle system. We should go back to Earth now !" said Clark
“OK!” said everyone except for William.
It was a short bumpy ride back to Earth because Clark was only a beginner.

The research was very interesting to the NASA scientists. William had been sent to the hospital so the doctors could help him.
William’s results were good and NASA mission was accomplished.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!