Darkened soul

Darkened Soul

PROLOGUE


Adam, a mild mannered man from the northern part of New York City, was walking along a back alley near the central part of NYC. He was quite muscular, with piercing green eyes that seemed to see into you, and a raptor gaze, which you swore, gazed into the depth of your soul. As he is walking, his posture makes it look as though he is hunting something. You see many disturbances under his white cloak, and realize they are weapons. In his hand you see a three bladed weapon, and by the way he is holding it, it looks as though he were born to wield it. Strange insignia are inscribed along the blades, and as it moves you see the air distort and crackle around it. He whirls in a perfectly executed fashion and slashes with the weapon. Out of the air appears a monster of teeth and tentacles, and its death scream nearly tears your insanity away. It is then he notices you and he smiles.
“You are yet too young to understand, but I will tell you anyway. There will come a time when you are called to protect life as I do. It is your choice whether you answer. But if you do, you must forsake everyone else except those other who have been called as well. And I will be waiting….”

Adam turns away from the young boy and heads off. Today has been hard, there seems to be more of these abominations around than usual. He will have to find the other Hunters of the Dark. Something is up, Chaos is growing.. but he will worry about that when he has to. He catches a bus headed for home and takes a seat three form the back. He must get home to his brother so that they may prepare for what he has feared all these years. The Start of the final battle. On his way home he remembers what his dad always told him. “Please, don’t ever fall prey to the dark hands of Chaos. Never.”

As Adam snapped out of his reverie he saw in passing of the bus, an old man, cloaked in darkness, with eyes that seemed to hold on soul, no life behind them, only cold dark menace of something not from this world. Something evil. Yet he recognised something in that man, he felt the tiniest flicker of love come from this decrepit being. He felt… a connection. As he looked around no one else seemed to have seen him, indeed no one else moved. They were all stopped by some force. When he looked back the old man dissolved into mist; and echoing laughter softly faded away.

He arrived home safely, but all he could think about was his father, and that old man, that thing. It stood like his father had stood, tall, masculine, and powerful. But it couldn’t be? It couldn’t. His father could not been seduced by Chaos. Could he?



Aaron Lyon Year 9 Warrnambool College

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!