Sophie Jane's Worst Day

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

“Aggrah”!! I screamed as a dead tree branch falls down and hits me on the shoulder. I stumble back into an old creaky sign. I turn around and read the sign in old scratchy writing it says KEEP OUT. I look up feeling fearful and see an old eerie castle with a huge cross beside it. I creep up the hill to read the cross. It said, Sophie Jane died 18th March 2001 R.I.P.” “that’s today” I say “and that’s my name.” I sit down on an old hollow tree stump feeling perplexed. I hear a loud creaky noise and look behind me.
The castles huge brown old door with a big gold knocker was opening slowly, I get up and poke my head inside. I see two huge staircases each lined with a red dusty carpet.
There are many doors along the wet moldy wall beside me. I look up and see an enormous glittering chandelier above me. I start to walk up the creaky stairway I slowly slide my fingers up the dusty stair railing. “Ouch.” I say as I quickly remove my injured finger from the stair case. A splinter just as I suspected. I pull it out and keep walking. As I do I fall through a step. CRASH. I’m falling into deep, deep darkness. THUMP. I hit the cold hard ground I try to stand up but just fall clumsily towards the wall. I feel something push away and so I peer ahead and see that I’ve pushed open a door to a scorching, smelly, polluted land. I see people walking towards a big purple globe they touch it and disappear. I walk towards it shaking with fear. I touch it thinking, “I wish I was back in the room under the chandelier”. There was a flash of different colored lights and then I hit he hard floorboards. I look up and see the huge chandelier above me. I look at my hands to see there transparent. HELLPP!! I scream.
Am I dead? I get up feeling terrified, sad and extremely cold. I walk towards the wet moldy wall where all the doors are. I go to open one but my hand slips straight through the handle so I walk through it instead. Inside the room there are large objects covered in white sheets. I lift off one of the sheets to reveal an old dusty black piano with some keys missing. I start to play as I do I feel a warm sensation come over me I look at my hands there not. transparent anymore. “YIPPIE” I shout with joy as I do I turn around and see a transparent girl behind me with a sad look on her face, I tell her to come to the piano and play she did as I said. She to became like me. “Thank you” she said. “This is my father’s house. He forbid me to go under the staircase but I disobeyed.” I stepped in and fell into darkness. When I opened my eyes I saw a big purple globe I touched it wishing I was back home. There was a flash and then I was back. I walked outside. The cross was gone I sighed with relief. Now I realise how precious life is.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!