Brave Bartholomew And His Tiberian Quest

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

Among the hills of Tiberia lay Kareese. Within Kareese, Bartholomew, a dwarf-smith, toiled upon his work. Bartholomew’s gaunt features and scraggly beard were tainted with the smoke of his foundry. His diminutive stature was made up for by his girth, resulting from tirelessly pounding with his cumbersome mallet. Like Bartholomew, Kareese was stained with the smoke of its’ bygone glory days.
Years ago, when the warlock Malleus reigned, Tiberia prospered. Trade was frequent. One day, Malleus was overthrown by the Shadow. A cloud enveloped Tiberia and business halted. The population has suffered since.
Bartholomew was dwelling on the glorious past. “Crunch!” Bartholomew’s teeth bit into a chunk of his salt stew. His gaze wandered to his swiss cheese breeches and his toe, peering out of his boots. Bartholomew uttered, “I’m sick and tired of watching my family starving. I must put an end to this dire oppression!” Bartholomew gathered his few possessions. As he left Kareese, he wondered if he would ever be welcomed back into those gates.
The snowy mountains loomed ahead of Bartholomew as he strode. “Hello, sonny!” said a wizened hermit as he materialized out of the woods. The hermit hobbled on a knotted cane with his white beard trailing along the ground. Bartholomew was amazed with this ancient hermit’s twinkling eyes. “Where are you journeying, child?” asked the hermit. “I’m on a quest to free my people from the Shadow,” stated Bartholomew. The man replied, “I have always wanted to visit those mountains before I die.” Desperately wanting a companion, he responded, “You may come with me but the journey is perilous.”
As Bartholomew scaled the precarious heights carrying the hermit, the old man related his life. “I was born to two traders in the Kingdom Phalacia beyond these mountains. I traveled with them. We became lost and I was the sole survivor. Ever since, I have always dreamed of revisiting my homeland.”
Bartholomew parted with the hermit at the summit of the Mount Darkness. “Thank you, you shall be repaid,” called the hermit as he descended the mountain. The shadows intertwined like a snake out of a tower and separated into the murky sky. “Your reign has ended, Shadow,” roared Bartholomew. The door of the tower slammed open. Wind and snow stunned Bartholomew. He was slowly being pushed towards a cliff.
“Craaaaack!” A flash of light erupted. The hermit appeared and lifted the cloak off his shoulders. He rose to a tremendous height. “I am Malleus,” he declared. “Years ago, I became deeply involved in an experiment which culminated with the creation of a hideous beast, the Shadow. I was thrown from power and became a recluse. Your courage and compassion inspired me to stand up to the Shadow. I am ashamed to have been such a coward. Thus, my kingdom is yours! It is time that a dwarf should rule his people.” Malleus vanished and Tiberia prospered once again under the rule of King Bartholomew.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!