Hunter And Hunted

3rd in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Johann walked quickly through the town of Grissburg. The locals generally stayed inside after sundown, but the headman had kept Johann in late. As he hurried through the streets of the town he didn’t notice the glowing, red eyes staring from the darkness.
The next morning Johann’s body was found, lying face up in the gravel, a look of indescribable horror on his face. On his neck were two small holes.
The locals didn’t think much of this, as murder was common in their day and age, but when three more murders had occurred they decided they must do something. At the general meeting all the storekeepers voiced their opinion.
“We must strive to wipe out all murders from the village. We must be subtle in doing this, lest we draw undue attention to ourselves.” Kraggie, the blacksmith, proposed.
“I agree with you,” voiced Gardan, the headman. “But I don’t think this is a human force that we are talking about.”
“What do you mean?” Asked Volksmaar, the baker.
“Well, look at the evidence. The victims did not die of normal causes. I have sent for a witch hunter, Günter Spaäjel,” answered Gardan.
“Excellent idea! I agree with the headman!” Shouted Kraggi. They took a vote and the result was unanimous. Günter Spaäjel would come to Grissburg.
In the early morning mist a figure could be seen running to an old abandoned building. As the figure reached the door a thin, rasping voice said from within, “So, you have returned. What news do you bring?”
“Master!” the figure said. “They have called a man fabled to be able to destroy anything unearthly!”
The rasping voice said sharply, “Are you sure of this?”
“Yes Master. Positive. I was there myself!” Answered the figure meekly.
“You have done well. Go and bring more news. Quickly, for I grow hungry!”
As the figure left the thin voice began to laugh.
Günter Spaäjel was an impressive sight. Six inches past six feet, he rode a massive warhorse. A brace of pistols was tucked in his belt and from his side hung a sword covered in glowing runes. He dismounted and walked toward the main building. Knocking on the door, he entered to see the headman sitting on a chair. Günter sat down on a spare seat and they began to talk.
That night, Günter walked cautiously toward the abandoned building, accompanied by Kraggi. Just before he reached the door a hand shot out and grabbed him by the shoulder. Pain lanced through his shoulder as he felt his attackers breath cascading over him. He looked toward Kraggi, who stood there, smiling. “Traitor!” He gasped.
The vampire, pausing before delivering the killer blow to the neck intoned, “Let me deliver you from life’s pain. Come, sleep the eternal sleep!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!