Temtation Wears A Silver Tux

As the coffin was lowered, a drop fell from Kate’s eye onto her already tear stricken face. She stood, dressed in full black from her shoes to the veil covering her face; her breathing heavy, a mixture of anger and despair upon her face. Who wouldn’t feel the same after the loss of their own mother?
A small gathering of family and friends huddled closely as the sermon drew to a close. As they parted, something caught Kate’s tear filled eye. There, stood a man; a tall, handsome figure dressed in an angelic white suit. Although his face was turned, Kate felt instantly drawn to him. She moved to follow him but was abruptly halted by her sister, Michelle’s, embrace. Speechless, Michelle fell forward and wept into her sister’s bosom, pausing only to sniff in an attempt to calm herself.
Kate, although equally heartbroken at the loss of her mother, hastily broke free from her sister’s grasp and moved hurriedly towards the place the man last stood. Alas, where the man had stood only moments ago, an empty space now seemed to somehow fill the air. Kate’s misery returned, but left her almost immediately. It occurred to her that this opportunity let pass was the fault of her sister, Michelle. Sorrow turned to frustration; however Kate suppressed her rage and returned to her sister. Kate excused herself and the two embraced once more for what seemed like hours. Then, without a word, Kate returned to her car and began home.
After returning home to regroup her thoughts and around two hours after the funeral, Kate arrived outside her sister’s country farm. Her car crept slowly up the red dirt driveway. As she came to a stop, her hand slid underneath the front seat, emerging with a six-shot magnum, clenched tightly its grip, a single shot in the barrel. Calmly, Kate exited her car and approached the front door. She knocked; once; twice; thrice; each knock echoing the last. Footsteps approached and as Michelle opened her front door, time seemed to freeze all that was happening except for her facial expression; sadness to surprise, to shock and finally disbelief. Just as it had frozen, time defrosted. Surrounding birds cleared as the serene countryside was pierced by a loud bang followed by the sound of limp, dead weight colliding with cold, hard ground.
As the coffin was lowered, a drop fell from Kate’s eye onto her perfectly dry cheek. She stood there, dressed in full red from her stiletto heels to the rose in her hair; her breathing mysteriously calm, a look of contempt yet acceptance upon her face. “Shouldn’t you seem sad after the loss of your own sister?”
A small gathering of family and friends huddled closely as the sermon drew to a close. As they parted, something caught Kate’s peculiarly dry eye. There stood a man; a tall, handsome figure dressed in a devious silver tux. A smile formed on her almost tearless face…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!