Raining On The Murrumbidgee

I feel the wind whipping around me as my horse gallops beside the Murrumbidgee River. I feel so at home here and can’t understand why people live in the city, but I suppose they’ve never seen what it’s like out here.

My dad’s a farmer but the crops aren’t going as well as they were a few years ago. The draught has made a big difference on the farm. It’s no longer as green as it was but at least the crops still grow and we manage to make a living. My friend moved to the city last week because their crops failed. I really hope that doesn’t happen to us, I would hate to move away from here. No other place could ever be home. I love our place in Narrandera and I don’t ever want to leave.

My horse, Patch, knows where to go. In the distance I can see our house. As we ride closer the house and garden get bigger and clearer.

I take the saddle off Patch and begin to groom her. “Lauren, you’re back.” I twist around and see my mum at the door of the stable. “Yes,” I reply. “Dad and,” she falters. I can see that she’s upset. “Dad and I have come to a decision, if the crops aren't successful this year, we’ll have to move to the city.” I was so surprised the only thing I could say was “Oh.” Mum looked up at me and saw that my eyes were beginning to dampen, “I’m sorry, but it’s too hard.” I just replied, “I know,” and continued grooming. I turned to see if mum was still there but she had already left.

I couldn’t believe it! We’ve lived here for ages, we can’t move. I just hope the crops turn out well and we won’t have to move. I think I’ll help with the farming and see if my sisters will as well.

We started planting the seeds today. My family are all helping so the planting should be completed by the end of the day. We all hope it rains this week so that the crops produce well, but if the rain doesn't come, we’ll have to move.

It’s almost the end of the week and if it doesn’t rain tomorrow we’ll have to leave our beloved farm in Narrandera. I don’t think it will rain today or tomorrow because it’s awfully hot and sunny.

Its Friday now, half the day has already passed and it’s a day just like yesterday, hot and sunny. It’s getting darker inside as if a cloud is passing over the sun. I look out the window and see enormous black clouds beginning to cover the sky. Then I hear it, the pitter-patter of the rain on our tin roof getting louder and heavier every minute.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!