Old Man Bones

My eyes shot open. I rolled over to see the time, 12:00am, midnight. I got out of my bed; the air was cold and musky. I grabbed my blanket as I strode out of my room, down the stairs and out the front door.
I decided to go for a walk, maybe it would make me feel tired, or just wake me up, more. I strolled down our long, narrow and dark street, watching all of the houses as I walked by. I came to an abrupt stop as my gaze moved towards a vine enclosed mansion with two flickering fire lanterns blowing in the breeze.
I looked behind me, someone was watching and following me, I was sure. I turned back to the mansion and began to walk down the path towards it; I was conscious about the feeling in the back of my mind, though I put it behind me and continued down the path.
I opened the oversized wooden door, there was a loud creak as opened it, inside the mansion it was dull, gloomy and I could only see about two or three feet in front of me. I took two paces into the mansion, which was just before I heard a loud SLAM!! I spun around as quickly as a bullet, just in time to see the oversized wooden door slam shut.
Trapped, I was trapped inside a creepy, vine enclosed mansion. I comforted myself by saying that there was surely to be another exit or way to escape.
I wondered around for a while looking for something I could escape through or break. After what seemed to be hours I found a tiny room, only about the size of our pantry. I stepped inside only to find a tall, lanky old man sitting on a chair in the corner of the tiny room. I stopped dead in my tracks and began to walk backwards when suddenly my foot touched down on a creaky floorboard, the old man’s head shot up and all I could see was a toothy snarl of sharp, yellow teeth. I pivoted on my foot and scampered as fast as I could.
“Grrrrrrrrrrrr!” I could hear anger through his groaning. He was surely mad.
“Come back here!” I scampered until I couldn’t hear the groaning or yelling any more, I slowed to a steady jog. Now walking, so that I could catch my breath, I stopped at a door that looked like I could escape through it.
Cautiously I stopped in the middle of the room. There was small table, contained on it was a mountain of food, delicious mouth-watering food. I ran to the table and stuck my finger into a bowl of warm melted chocolate, the doors on either side of me slammed shut and the room fell into darkness.
A hideous laughter came from behind me; I ducked under the table just in time to see two large feet at the edge of the table. Within seconds they had disappeared and a door was open, I considered whether to go for it or not. In the end I ran for my life, but I was lured into a trap, the door slammed shut in my face.
“Help!” I screamed. I was now stuck and very frightened.
“Please, somebody!” My voice was straining now. THUMP!!! I was hit on the head from behind; I fell to my knees and everything went black. Forever.
Jacinta O'Mealley

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!