A Dig Of Discovery

A Dig of Discovery

By Caitlin E. Stratton

Dirt was flying everywhere as Zahrra Lambert dug around, searching for something from times long ago, maybe an old coin or a saucepan. Zahrra was an experienced archaeologist, but this was the first time she had ever dug alone. As she dug further and further, she struck something, silver and shiny.

It was only a spoon that was glinting in the afternoon sun. This annoyed Zahrra; she put in hours of backbreaking work and all she got in return was an old spoon. ‘Why do I bother?’ thought Zahrra. But then, she noticed a small beam of sunlight, reflected off an item half-hidden in the earth.

Zahrra was intrigued. She dug fiercely around the gleaming object, her actions not too different from that of a dog digging for a bone. Pulling the small glimmering object out of the ground, she realised it was an unusually shaped key.

Looking closer, Zahrra saw an inscription:

To the finder of this key, please come and rescue me
I live in a dwelling, cold and alone, come and find me so I can go home


This sent her curious mind whizzing. Zahrra decided to search for the door that her key would open.

Zahrra embarked on her search but results looked bleak, even after hours of looking. As her search was nearing an end, Zahrra found a small shed in a back lane, its door looking to be of the same antiquity as the key. Her heart thumping, Zahrra opened the door to see a dimly lit room. Turning on her torch, Zahrra noticed a figure, sitting in the corner of the room. Realising it was a zombie, Zahrra let out a shrill scream and ran from the creature, whose image was now burned into her mind.

Quickening her pace, Zahrra turned to see the zombie lumbering towards her, rotting flesh hanging off his body like rags. Zahrra didn’t notice that the creature’s gaze was continuously fixed on the graveyard perched atop a nearby hill.

After what felt like hours of running, Zahrra was exhausted so she darted behind a tree to catch her breath. As she rested Zahrra had an ever-increasing feeling that the zombie was gaining on her. Frightened, she kept running, her feet pounding the ground at an unbelievable pace.

Catching another glimpse of the creature, Zahrra noticed that he was staring at the graveyard with a wistful look in his eyes. Suddenly it dawned on her; the zombie wanted to be finally laid to rest in the graveyard.

Zahrra ran towards the graveyard, hoping the creature would follow her, which, luckily, it did. Reaching the graveyard, she spotted an empty crypt and ushered the exhausted zombie into the burial spot, meant for someone else.

Relieved, Zahrra started walking out of the graveyard, but she tripped, landing in front of an empty grave. She felt a chill as she saw the plaque. It read:

Here lies the grave of Zahrra D. Lambert.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!