Kids Of The Future!

“And the noble prize goes to Lucas Winfrey, being the first man to create a cure for leukaemia.”
The crowd burst into applause as I made my way up and graciously accepted my award.
“Now Lucas, tell us what inspired you to find this cure?” The presenter asked me through his shining white teeth, looking as though he was waiting for a decent answer.
I took a deep breath and began my speech.
“Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My story can be traced back twenty years ago
* * * *
My mother passed away a few weeks after my birth, so I lived with my father during my childhood. I loved my dad more than anyone in the world. He taught me how to read, write how to ride a bike.
He attended my kindergarten, six and year twelve graduation. He was a farmer and didn’t make much money. I attended the local primary and secondary school and my dad always pushed me to do my best. Weekends were spent shopping, farming, hunting or with a visit to my mums grave.
One day after arriving home from my local job at the fruit shop I found a letter in the mailbox, addressed to me from the University of Melbourne. My spirits soared as I realised that I had been accepted as a scholar student.
I ran inside the house eager to show my dad. To my horror I found him lying unconsciously on the floor. I dialled triple 0 and the ambulance was at my house in less than 5 minutes.
I sat by his hospital bed day by day praying to God that everything would be okay. I was told he had leukaemia. It wasn’t until the third day that my dad finally woke up from the coma. Tears formed in his eyes when he saw me sitting near him. He slowly explained to me that my mum had died from leukaemia. I sat in shock unable to believe what he told me.
“You are a child of the future. Many people will depend on when you grow up to help them. I wanted you to always try your best and never give up. Try to find a cure for this disease son. For if there is a will, there is a way”
As I heard those words tumble out of my father’s mouth I knew that they would be with me forever.
He passed away after a couple of days. He was buried in the local cemetery. I was the only one to attend his burial.
From that day onwards I felt a as though I was responsible to help those around me.
* * * *
I looked at the crowd unsure of what their reaction would be. Suddenly the room was flooded with their applause. Tears were forming in my eyes but I didn’t really mind.
Balloons filed the hall as I announced through the microphone:
“To the future generation.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!