Terror On The Mountain.

When I awoke the sky above me had turned a dark threatening grey and thunderous clouds were blocking out the sun’s rays. The air was hot and humid and my skin felt sticky with sweat.

I got up from where I was lying on a large patch of grass and looked towards the chalet that my family and I had been staying for the last few days. I could hardly make it out through the haze. What was happening?

I got up and hurried towards the chalet. I slammed the heavy door shut but smoke still managed to get in. The smell of burning filled my nostrils. The air was thick with smoke. Suddenly I got it. Why hadn’t I thought of it before? Bush fire!

Fear stabbed me like a knife. I must have fallen asleep while the fire had started. Everyone would have evacuated the mountain. Everyone except me.

The wall next to me turned orange and fire started demolishing the wood. I was rigid with terror. My feet glued themselves to the ground. Flames stared licking around my ankles. Then I heard a voice.

It was so soft I could barely hear it but I was sure it was there. Energy pumped through my legs. I sprinted along the corridors following the voice, the blaze following me. It got louder as I darted through the building. I rounded a corner and saw a little girl about 5 years old lying in the path of the fire coming at lightning pace from the other side. I tore down the hall and threw myself onto her.

The fire sped over me leaving my body burning. My back hurt like crazy, but I didn’t have time to wait. Hastily I picked up the girl and ran.

I ran until I was as far away from the burning building as I could. I put my head to the girl’s chest. She was still breathing. I sighed with relief.

I felt her grasp my hand lightly. I felt light headed with relief. Her eyes slowly opened.

“What’s your name?” I asked quietly.

“Mummy, I want my Mummy and Daddy.”

My back suddenly felt hot. Spinning around I saw the fire, finished with the building, now caving around us on all sides like a giant tsunami.

“Hold on tight,” I yelled over the roar.

I threw her over my shoulder and half ran, half fell down the mountain. I could feel the sea of flames catching us as I raced downwards. The girl’s high pitched scream echoed through the valley.

I ran swiftly not looking back. The fire was now licking around my heels. Suddenly I was tripping, then falling and she plummeted away from me. As she fell she let out one final terrifying scream.

I tried to regain my footing but my legs gave way and I was falling down, down, down.
As I fell I yelled at the top of my lungs:
“FIRE, FIRE, FIRE……………………………………………………………...............................”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!