Have A Little Hope

It had been a long winter this year, and Jen Perkins was wrapped up warm in her faux fur jacket, sat next to the fire with a hot cup of cocoa. I watched in with envy. She was cozy and warm but yet she always complained about how hard done by she was. “I never get anything I want!” I heard her shout angrily. “I told you last night that I wanted the Hot Pink Pumps to wear to the dance this Friday!” She was the most selfish brat in the street, and her parents were stupid enough to give her everything she wanted. They didn’t know what it’s like to be outside, in the cold. With nothing to eat but leftovers those ungrateful families threw in their garbage.

My name is Tabitha, Tabby for short. I am a cat who has roamed the street of Winter Crest Boulevard for nearly twelve years. I’ve lived on the street ever since I was born.
A car screeched out of the driveway of Jen Perkins’ house. To me it looked like her dad headed for the shops to buy her precious pumps. Jen Perkins had a satisfied look on her face. I hopped up on to the window sill and peered inside. It looked like the house I always wanted to live in. how I longed to be inside that majestic house.

Suddenly the door swung open. I crept closer to the door and saw none other than Jen Perkins standing there. She had her hands outstretched as if to pick me up. But surely not, she wouldn’t want a cat like me. But sure enough she grabbed me gently around the stomach and held me close to her. “MUM! You’ll never guess what I just found!” she shouted through the house still holding me close. She ran into the kitchen where her mother was standing. Her mother’s mouth gaped open. “Uh… where did you find that darling?” she asked nervously still dumfounded. “She was outside, the poor thing, cold as ice. Can I keep her please, please?” Jen said quickly. This could be the question that could change my life for ever. I cuddled Jen to try and help reassure her mum to keep me. The dumfounded look disappeared off her mothers face and turned into a smile. “Oh… I suppose so.” She said happily. “Oh thank you so much mum!” Jen cried.
I have a home! I cuddled up to Jen even more trying to show as much gratitude towards her as possible. Then, the door opened again and in walked Jen’s dad. He had an expression of surprise on his face when he saw me. “Its ok dad, mum said I could keep her!” Jen said reassuringly. He smiled at her. You should’ve called me and I could’ve got some food for her.” Jen ran up and hugged him tight.

So my life has changed for the better. I have a family and a home and I was happy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!