Let Go

“What do ya girls wanna do this afternoon?”
Oh great.
Just when I thought me and LC will have a relaxing afternoon.
It’s not that I hate Deana, she’s just a bit out there but me, her and Kristin had been best friends since we were kiddies. Until LC came into our group.
“Can we just chill today? I’m so tired im practically dead”
“Chill?! Oh no woman. I need a new boyfriend! And a hot one.” Kristin exclaimed. “New hot boyfriend... we can hit the beach today. We never go to the beach. I know this place in Malibu where we can do some surfing lessons and check out guys at the same time.” suggested Deana.
“Oh no. we can’t go to the beach. Ear problems. Remember? Folks will kill me.” scarily points LC.
Actually, LC doesn’t have hearing problems. She’d been in the group for seven years and she’s not much of an open person but out of everyone in the group, I’m the closest to her.
See, there’s this thing about her that amazes me but makes me feel sorry for her at the same. It’s a secret she has and only I know it.
She was born a mermaid. Her real parents are too. But when she was three, she was granted to live normally like us.
“Yeah… LC has got hearing problems. And, I’m tired too. But you two can go” I said. “It won’t be fun without you. Whatever. You like it or not, we’re all coming.” protested Kristin. LC got up and whispered to me to meet her at the bar after she leaves.
“I can’t go. You know what’ll happen to me.”, she cried.
“I know. We’ll find a way. Hey. What if you just come but tell em you won’t be surfing.”

We piled on Kristin’s convertible and off we go from Los Angeles to Malibu.
When we got there and saw the surf, I got nervous for LC. I could see her Goosebumps! Poor thing.
“I just booked us for the surfing lessons and it starts in ten. Oh, LC, I signed you too. You’ll love it. Come on let’s rent the stuff.” Deana claimed.
LC grabbed me as we walk to the shop. “What am I gonna do?” she was really scared and very pale. “Ok. It’s just once. Maybe I won’t turn into a yoohoo! I haven’t been in there for a while. How bad can it be?”
“Really bad LC. But it’s your choice. At least you get to see the ‘rents eh? Don’t worry. I’ll tell the others. And the olds. Just do what you think is right.” I suggested.

At the beach, we were given instructions on what to and what not to do out there. As soon as Josh and Joseph, the two oh-la-la-hottie surf coaches gave us the signal to go in the water, LC mouthed me the word, “Goodbye.”

Everyone was in the surf but I just watched because as soon as LC was under the water, it happened.

“What the hell was that?” I heard Joseph say as I was standing with him. “Hey Josh, did you see that? I think I saw a dolphin or somethin’” he shouted to Josh. “Huh? Ya right mate?” laughed Josh.
Joseph started counting the people in the water. “How many were you in your group?” he asked. “Four. Why?” I answered.
“Four? A girl’s missing and…”
I saw where he was leading. “Oh! LC, uh, she went back home. Don’t worry about her. She’ll be fine.” dreamingly I said as I stare at the vast expanse of water.

I know she’ll be fine.
She had to go back someday.
Fate will bring her back if she’s meant to.
But now, she’ll be a memory I wouldn’t forget.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!