Danger!

There was an explosion through the crease. Wizzzzz. The ball was zooming down the pitch faster than I could possibly react. I panicked. I didn’t know what to do. It moved this way then that way - it was swinging like crazy. I took a valiant crack at the ball, but at the very last moment it eluded my heavy bat. Phew! I hadn’t edged it. I let out a sigh of relief. Oh no! The bowling team was appealing. Surely, their umpire would deem me out as it was a melting hot day and his team had been outside in the boiling sun for hours. I stood where I was glued to the spot. Just staring, staring at the umpire. He didn’t budge. I was safe, at least for now.

It was the first match of my first season. My team was the Maccabi Under fifteens up against Mt Waverly under fifteens. I heard Mt Waverly won the premiership the previous year. However, it didn’t matter. I had the tenacity to do this.

Standing at the crease, I looked around. The other team was furious. They were sure I was out. I took my stance and looked up at the bowler’s end. I heard one of the bowler’s fellow teammates advocate that he ruffle my feathers. I hadn’t played the game for long, but I wasn’t stupid. He was going to bowl me a bouncer. As the bowler thundered in to bowl, I contemplated what I was going to do. If I missed the ball, I was dead. If I hit the ball, it would dart for six and I would be a hero. I knew what I had to do. It was my time to shine. The bowler released the ball. It was short as I expected. I moved onto the back foot and swiveled around to face the ball. I swung as hard as my fourteen year old arms could swing. Wack! The ball went flying. It eventually landed, what looked like miles over the boundary. Everyone rose to their feet and applauded. I smiled as tears rolled down my cheeks. This was the happiest moment of my life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!