The 21st Princess

I went flying down the banister wearing a pair of my cousins old riding pants, and skidded past the parlour in a pair of think wooly socks.
“Hey Mother, guess what?” I asked as I slid to a halt just inside the parlor door, “Prince Charming just asked me to marry him again. “
My mother lay her book on etiquette down in her lap and sighed in exasperation, “And you said no again of course.”
“Yep,” I said as I flopped sideways into a fat recliner, grinning unrepentantly, “Besides, it’s only the third time he’s asked me.”
“Priscilla, honey, you know what they say; First time denied- shame on you. Denied twice- shame on him, but denied for a third time … and he finds another woman,” Mother told me, “But it’s no surprise really, considering what you’re wearing.”
Now it was my turn to sigh, “Mother it’s the 21st century for heavens sake! Nobody wears dresses anymore.”
“Then princesses must be nobodies because every princess I know wears dresses and they look better than you missy. Even Fiona the ogre wears dresses!” my Mother raved.
I swear that living in a castle and drinking too much tea and wearing a corset cuts oxygen to the brain.
“I’ll have you know that Rapunzel and Snow White both went riding with me today in pants,” I argued right back, “But Rapunzel had to go home early ‘cause her head hurt. All that hair I suppose. She’s growing it long again you know.”
“Priscilla! What am I going to say to their Mothers when I see them next? “I’m sorry my mentally challenged daughter has lead your daughters’ astray?””
“I am not mentally challenged!” I cried.
“Priscilla, what am I going to do with you? You wear pants in public, deny marriage proposals, and ignore your responsibilities. You practically never listen to me anymore; especially with that Esod in your ears-“
“Ipod Mother, Ipod”
“What am I going to do with you Priscilla? Lock you in the tallest tower?”
I thought for a second, “Can I take my Ipod with me?”
“We are totally off subject here Priscilla. Why do you keep saying no to Charming?”
“Because I want his reason to marry me to be that he loves me – not because, I quote “both our mothers think it’s a great idea.””
“Priscilla, for Sleeping Beauty’s daughter,” my father walked in from his study and joined the conversation, “you really are such a dolt. When Charming came to ask our permission, he told us that he loves you. We never would have given him permission to ask you otherwise.”
“WHAT! Why didn’t he just say so! Why didn’t you two say so the first time?”
“We hoped you would figure it out for yourself, but I think it’s getting a bit late,” Father agonized.
“Mother, Father, I have somewhere to be,” I said abruptly and walked from the room
“And that would be where, young lady?” mother called (she doesn’t yell) after me
“To propose to Charming!” I yelled back
Mother sighed, “I was hoping she would wait for him to propose again…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!