Fatal Flight

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain Doug Smith. We are currently experiencing minor turbulence. The cabin crew have switched on the seat belt sign, so can you please fasten your seat belts immediately. We do not expect this turbulence to last more than several minutes.” The Captains voice sounded deep and reassuring.
I looked up at seat belt signs. Rows and rows of bright orange signs illuminated before me.

“Maggie! Do up your seat belt! Didn’t you hear the Captain?” I yelled. I was worried about her safety.
“I can’t!” screamed Maggie. I could hear the panic in her voice.
“Why not?” I snapped.
“It’s stuck under the seat,” Maggie cried.

Suddenly the plane dropped. We were losing altitude. My stomach felt like it was in my throat. I swallowed the foul tasting bile; I thought I’d be sick. The gas masks dropped from the overhead compartments. They swayed around like chandeliers on a rocking cruise liner. The flight attendants were running around like a chook with its head cut off.

The Captain’s voice came over the PA system again. His voice sounded wobberly and nervous. It was as if he knew he was going to crash the plane. “Ladies and gentlemen, we ask that as a precaution you please put on your life jackets. They are located under the seat in front of you. If you have any problems please ask a flight attendant. Good luck.” My body started to shake with fear. Every muscle in my body tightened. It felt as though a boa constrictor was strangling me.

The sound of screaming passengers were ear piercing. I could see the fear in everyone’s stressed eyes. The sparkling sweat ran down my head. The sweet, salty task of the sweat made me ill.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a gigantic, orange explosion that lit up the dark night sky. “Fire! The engine is on fire!” I cried. Fear and confusion from my fellow passengers filled the tiny cabin.

Thick, dark grey smoke quickly engulfed the tiny cabin. It was difficult to breath. It was like trying to suck air through a straw. I couldn’t see the people infront of me.
“Maggie, hold on. It will be okay,” I tried to sound reassuring. I grabbed Maggie’s hand so tightly. I was terrified about what would happen next.

The plane fell from the sky like a brick. The strong winds and heavy rain weren’t helping us stay in the air. With one last gust of wind we landed in the ocean. The plane was sinking.

I followed the air bubbles and swam towards the surface. I gasped for air. Frantically I searched through the remains of the plane but I couldn’t find my friend. I had survived, but Maggie was no where to be seen.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!