Elena

It was a hot, but beautiful summer in Badalona that year.
Elena walked home alone. She knew this meant she was late. Otherwise she would be surrounded with people. By now they had been called in for a ‘siesta’. Elena didn’t mind. She’d needed to think all day.
Elena arrived home, to her awaiting grandmother. Elena knew this meant she was really late. Imelda sat like a cat in the lounge. Lunch was already served, and without a word, Imelda stood and sat at her chair at the table. She had the most unbreakable temper.
“I’m sorry I’m late Grandmamma”. Imelda just nodded and invited her to sit. Elena sat.
“I have been thinking. I want to leave Badalona.” Instantly Imelda looked into Elena’s eyes, but she could only see her seriousness. “There is a whole world out there that I have never seen before, and what I want most Grandmamma is to sing to them.”
“Elena, no!” But Elena’s grandmother couldn’t find the words.
So Elena left that beautiful summer day to start her adventure. She caught the train to Barcelona. Being early afternoon, and mid summer, night did not fall for a while, but Elena soon became drowsy.
Elena booked a room for the night at a local back-packers hotel, and was soon asleep.
Elena found herself in a dense rainforest. The sun barely filtered through tall palms but the heat prevailed.
The smell of orchids and the sound of exotic birds filled the humid air. And although it was as bright as day, she could see the full moon.
The moon had a face, and it sung.
‘Only dreams light my path
Only love has changed the plans
I sing with passion I’ve never had,
You can’t hold me back’
Then the jungle was gone. She was in her bed in her room. But even then, she could still see the full moon, and hear its voice, but the moon’s face was empty.
The next day Elena woke to a humid morning.
Hot, thick air hung around her like fog. From Elena’s window, day revealed the beautiful city around her. The streets below buzzed with life, and Elena just wanted to join in. Grabbing her guitar she headed for the pavement.
She sent a postcard to her grandmother.
Don’t hold back.
Love Elena.
Then she found a patch where she lay down her cap, and played. A couple stopped and watched for a while but her cap was still empty.
Then she remembered the moons song. Instantly, hundreds were crowed around. The music Elena made was inspiring. It made people want to write beautiful novels, or create works of art, learn to tap dance or bungee-jump.
By the end of the song, her cap was full.
That night Elena returned to Badalona. In that day she had more of an adventure than she would need for her whole life. For she was an ordinary person. But every night she dreamt of the moon, and she thanked him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!