James Efrit: A Fated Meeting

James Efrit came over the crest of the hill, tired and undetermined. His sister was already long dead; he was surprised he’d lasted so long in the harsh surroundings.

There was no sun, or moon, and to be perfectly honest, he couldn’t tell the time. His pocket watch was broken, and the only items he still had on his person were the clothes on his back, and the shoes on his feet. He would’ve said he still had his soul at least, but even that felt like it had abandoned him.

It was rather ironic he had grey eyes, and no shadow — like all youths — for he felt like nothing more than a lost child in this unfamiliar place.

There was a cry from somewhere nearby, and he lifted his head. He turned to what he thought was the south and saw what looked like a boy, and a stag in battle. The boy swung his sword about wildly and the stag did his best to fight off the monsters, too, as reptilian Draks retaliated with pointed teeth and jagged claws.

The boy fell from the stag’s back, which was when James sprang into action. He dashed down the hillside, willing to die to save the pair he’d never met. At least then he’d be back with his sister.

By the time he’d reached the battlefield, the brawl had ended, with the stag and the boy as the victors — though the latter had been knocked out cold with a large, bleeding gash down his leg.

“Thank you for coming,” said the stag. James nearly tripped over in shock.

This one must be one of those sentient Hyorkriegs, he thought before replying, “I’m sorry I couldn’t be here earlier. I only just saw what was happening when I rushed down.”

The Hyrorkrieg made what looked like a smile. “Well thank you, anyway. I’m Ebihyatt, and that boy on the ground there is Will. Can you help me boil some rags to cover up his wounds? I don’t want him dying of blood loss.”

James nodded, and built a fire. “I’m James Efrit, by the way.” He found a pan in the boy’s bag and filled it with water from a water skin, before taking a swig himself. Before long it was boiling.

Will came to, and cringed as pain shot through him. James helped the boy up, and fixed up his other wounds.

James and Will began talking, and James told the boy of how he’d came to be here, and of his shadow, which was locked away somewhere, hence why he didn’t have one.

The boy looked at James with sparkling eyes. “I promise you that I’ll help get you your shadow back!”

James felt at home with this boy, but couldn’t understand how he could be so kind to a stranger. This boy’s promise was sincere, and for what felt like the first time in eons, James smiled.

I may be getting my shadow back after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!