That Day

My dad is sitting next to me. He is crying. I heard my uncle say, “She was a great friend- always full of laughter. I will miss her very much, but the one I really grieve for is my niece Georgia.” I opened my eyes. That is my name. I looked up at the platform and my uncle stood there, tears streaming down his cheeks, but I wasn’t looking at him, I was looking at the big wooden box behind him. There were flowers on it, and a picture of, “Mum!” I breathed. I felt tears welling up in my eyes and tried to hold them back. Dad saw me and gave me a hug.
“I’ll miss her but at least we don’t have to go shopping anymore.” He was trying to cheer me up but I knew he was still very sad.
“Dad,” I said, “Can we go to the footy after this?” I thought he would say no but surprisingly he said yes. “Anything to take my mind of this.” he said.

After the funeral we put some flowers on mum’s coffin and went to the footy. By the end of the match I knew dad still couldn’t forget it. He was still buying hot chocolates, coffees and he was still going on about this fantastic mark Jonathon Brown took. “Did you see that wonderful mark? Brownie just jumped into the air and caught it and then that goal from 50 meters out was unbelievable!”
“Yes dad,” I said, “you still can’t forget it can you?”
“How can I?” he replied. “She was the best cook, a fantastic teacher and the worst part of it, she never got to publish her book.”

All this happened about a year ago. My dad is not as sad anymore but Christmas is coming up in about a week and my birthday in 5 days. I wonder if these things will lift my dad’s spirits or make him even sadder that mum missed out on my tenth birthday. Oh well. My friend knows how I feel. She lost her little sister in July, but that is another story……………

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!