King Of The Jungle (a Retelling Of ‘the Lion And The Mouse’, An Aesop’s Fable)

Once upon a time, there lived a lion called Leo. He was strong, agile, and maybe a bit overly proud. One day, he was having his routine afternoon nap, when an annoying, continuous tapping on his shoulder awakened him. He growled, stretched and opened his eyes. Looking around, he saw a tiny, insignificant little mouse staring at him. Leo lazily picked the mouse up and said, “What exactly do you think you are doing, tramping around on my shoulder like that?” The mouse, in a small but calm voice, replied, “You were in the way of my pre-planned walk.” “What?” Leo roared. “You mean to say that you dared step on me, the King of the Jungle, because it was a pre-planned route? How dare you! I’ll eat you for that!” And Leo opened his mouth wide. “Please sir, don’t eat me.” The little mouse begged. “Why not?” Leo inquired, his anger far from appeased. “Because if you don’t”, replied the mouse, “then I can free you some day.” “Free me?” asked Leo. “I’d like to see you try!” He then burst out laughing. But he was amused with the idea, so he let the mouse go. “Believe me, sir, you will be grateful!” the mouse said. With tears streaming down his cheeks, Leo continued with his afternoon nap.

The very next day, Leo awoke to find himself surrounded by grim-faced hunters. The nearest hunter shot his gun, and Leo found himself enveloped in a heavy rope net. He roared and thrashed, but to no avail. The King of the Jungle was unceremoniously dragged away.
The little mouse was awoken by Leo’s roars. Yawning, he jumped out of bed and started walking towards the diminishing sounds. Now in dogged pursuit, the brave little mouse overcame many dangers, including the other jungle animals that were following the commotion. Bruised and battered, the mouse finally arrived at the hunters’ base. He searched and searched, and finally found the disheartened Leo, still in the net. He bravely strode up and nipped at the ropes. They escaped the hunters together. Leo was very thankful to the diligent mouse, and the pair lived happily together for the rest of their long and enjoyable lives.

THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!