Dancing For Life

Ever since my mother had died I felt like I had nothing left except sadness. My mother caught the plague one night after dancing in Convent Garden. After that I went to live with my grandmother as she is my only remaining relative. We were fine for a while because my mother had earned a decent sum of money but after a few months we started to get low on money. Now every day all I have to eat is a couple of dry, mouldy pieces of bread. We are poor now and barely have enough money to feed ourselves.
On my birthday I looked out our tiny dinghy window into the street beyond and wished with all my heart that I was someone else. Suddenly I heard my grandmother, Audrey, calling my name in her rasping voice. When I reached her she said to me “Since it is your birthday I have decided that you can have Ballet lessons.” My heart leaped and then sank and quietly I said “But we don’t have enough money.” Smiling my grandmother said “I have scraped just enough money together for you to do ballet for a year and I hoped you might join a ballet company when you’ve done your year of training.”
“I’d love to!” I said laughing and I leaped around the room.
The next day I turned up at my ballet class and looked around at everyone in their immaculate skirts and leotards and then I looked at my own old, ripped tunic and felt like I wanted to retreat into my shell, my shell that sadly did not exist so I all I could do was hope that talent would hide my looks. Finally our teacher, Mrs Sternover called us to the bar to do some exercises.
After a while she said to do some free dancing and when I heard the music it swept me away and made me feel like all I ever wanted to do was dance, so I did. When the last note left my ears I looked up and noticed that everyone was staring at me in awe. That night I went home happier than I had been in years.
The year flew by and quickly, too quickly, I reached the end of my last ballet lesson. After the lesson I went to my grandmother and said “What if I don’t make it into the dance company?”
“I’m sure you will” she said “I’ve booked you an audition for tomorrow.” Tomorrow, I thought wildly and started practicing like I would never stop.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!