Legend Of The Volcano

Flat land stretched for miles in every direction. The sinister silhouette of the burnt out volcano was like a giant menacing shadow in the dim light. A tall girl stood, scrutinizing the monument in silence. The volcano scared her. Rumours of those who entered and never returned were thrown around nearby towns. But she remembered clearly how her heartbeat quickened in excitement when the locals described the fascinating legend of a girl coming to defeat the horrible supposed to reside in the hearth, the deepest reaches of the mountain. She tossed her brunette hair over her shoulder, taking a deep a breath to gather her nerve. The mountain seemed to rumble, calling her to it. She moved forward a little, her eyes clouded like a hypnotized insect. She moved forward more. Her ears were focused on nothing but the beckoning song…

“Kyra!” Kyra snapped from her daydream, “Didn’t you hear me?” Kyra sighed. Her she was, back in her room, among her clutter of books and scribbled notes. The volcano and deserted land had faded with her friend’s impatient voice,
“I’m sorry, could you say that again?” Her friend Katie threw up her hands in despair,
“I give up! I’ve been trying to get you to concentrate on our speech for half an hour!” Kyra smiled sheepishly, “Sorry, I guess I was thinking about other things.” Katie rolled her eyes, causing Kyra to snort with suppressed laughter, “Let me guess, you were thinking about some amazing deed you were destined to do?” Kyra’s yes shone with joy at the mention of her fantasies, “Don’t you think it would be amazing?” Katie shrugged,
“Maybe.” She quickly peered at her watch, “Oh, I’m afraid my time is up. Seeya Kyra!” Kyra waved as her friend hurried out the door and out the door. Kyra stared out the window at her friend running down the street. She pulled back with a sigh. She turned to her bookcase, staring at the wondrous titles of tales from long ago. Kyra had always loved thoughts of heroes battling vicious monsters and giving up their lives for others. She wanted to be just like that one day. Kyra pulled out one of the dusty volumes, opening it to a page that was marked with blue tack. It was of all mythological creatures, good and evil, and their purpose. Kyra closed the book with a smile. She decided to check the library for any books of interest. With that thought she positioned her backpack on her shoulders and walked out the door.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!