Jeopardy

3rd in the 'Empowered 2008' competition

Light flooded into the aeroplane as Mark opened his eyes to see a jet refueling at the back of the tanker. His arms were restricted and looking down he saw thick ropes like coiling snakes binding him to the back of a jeep in the rear side of the plane. He noticed a parachute lying in the corner and twisting his head he saw two guards.
Quickly and quietly Mark wriggled his hands under the ropes to check his equipment and surprisingly found he still had his combat knife. Silently he cut the rope and in one swift movement swung around and threw his knife at the older guard. The guard’s gun spilled to the ground and Mark dived for it, picked it up and shot. Sprinting and shooting he snatched the parachute and struggled into its straps. He headed for the cockpit and before the pilot could stop him smashed the glass and dived out.
Hot wind hit him like a brick and he was temporarily stunned. Steadying himself Mark twisted around and focused on the ground. Down in the scrub he noticed a rusty, old warehouse. He landed nearby and waited till nightfall to enter.
Slowly and carefully Mark crept through the darkened warehouse. He opened one of the many boxes against the wall. Inside was a supply of weapons and ammo. Reaching into the box, he pulled out some AK-47 ammunition, stashing it in his pocket and loading one of the weapons which he left in the box. Creeping onwards, he rounded a corner and to his absolute astonishment saw three men. Two tall men with burly shoulders and balaclavas around their heads stood each side of a short, rotund man. The taller men were carrying MP-5s and both had sawn off shotguns in their shoulder holsters.
Just then lights flickered on and Mark felt the cold barrel of a gun pressed against his back. “Don’t move a muscle!” Slowly the gun barrel crept up his back and came to rest on his head. “You’re coming with me,” the mystery man said as he led Mark back towards where he had first entered. As Mark was scanning the room for an escape he remembered the AK-47 he had stashed away in the box. With a large sweeping movement he kicked the man in the groin and made a break for the AK-47. Bang! He heard a gunshot and a bullet whizzed past his ear. He grabbed the AK-47 and swung around. An alarm sounded and a deafening explosion blinded him. Kicking and thumping he staggered back and fell over, his ears ringing. His arm was pulled up and he felt a sharp pain in the upper arm. Mark collapsed unconscious to the floor.
Staring at the screen, still tingling with excitement, Mark thought about how long he had to go and the challenges ahead. He was sure that Jeopardy was the best Playstation game he had ever played.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!