That Morning

Early that morning, Claire’s loud and buzzing alarm clock went off. She got up and glanced in the full-length mirror and caught her reflection. A girl with short blond hair and hazel eyes stared back. She slipped on her school uniform while humming her favourite song to herself. As she munched her breakfast Claire thought how important that day was to her. There was going to be an in-school dance competition and she was determined to win because the one thing that Claire wished for was to be POPULAR!

Off she skipped to school humming another song she had just heard on the radio.

In the school hall, Claire dashed to get the front spot so everyone could see how well she danced. Although Claire had no experience in dancing, she had decided to enter anyway as this could be her opportunity to win the competition and gain much-wanted popularity.

Unfortunately Claire did not win the dance contest, nor did she come second or third. Annoyed, she trudged off the stage but immediately remembered the athletics carnival was on the following week. She certainly would not give up and had to do something special there to attract people’s attention!

On the day of the athletics carnival, Claire was very excited. She had enthusiastically entered all the sport events on that day and decided to race some very fast runners to try and show that she could be an ultimate Olympic champion! Like the dancing competition, Claire did not receive her satisfaction. She was so angry at herself that after school, Claire ran around the block about five times to release her frustration.

The next day at recess, a sudden plan popped into Claire’s head which she thought was perfect. When all the children in her class had gathered around the tall oak tree on the metal seats, Claire shakily climbed up the tree and announced loudly that she was going to jump down from such a height. That girl was going to be popular by any means! She would just do ANYTHING!!! Claire held her hands out happy to see the crowd’s faces fixed on her. Down she jumped...

Claire landed on her right arm with a bump all bunched up and snuffling. Suddenly, Claire realised that all she had been doing lately had not gotten her anywhere! The next thing she knew was that her teacher, Mrs Manelli, was pounding up to her shouting, “What is going on here?”
“My arm,” Claire whispered in utter pain.

In not time at all, Claire had been taken to the hospital to find out she had broken her arm. Her hand was covered in plaster right up to the elbow and her arm rested on a sling.

A couple of days later, when Claire was going to her math class she briefly glanced at the little note on the school notice board that caught her eye. She read: “Do you have a talent for singing or simply enjoy it? Well come and join the choir!” Her eyes lit up and twinkled for she realised THIS was what she wanted to do! Claire had an interview with Mr Willer, the music organizer. “Do you like singing?” he asked her.
“I do; I really, really do!” exclaimed Claire. So she joined the choir and found herself having so much fun singing and making stacks of new friends!

Claire had completely forgotten about popularity and for the first time, she was a happy and content girl, appreciating who she was as a person.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!