NEW LIFE

My days in England were usually grey and cold. It was overcrowded, with three times the population of Australia. Loads of cars, loads of traffic, and violent crime. That is why we moved to Australia.

Our house sold and the container had gone with our worldly possessions. It was quite a strange feeling to see all of our things on a semi trailer. My suitcase was packed and ready. Flights had been booked just weeks before. Our house was empty. Now it was time to say “Goodbye” to my family and friends. I felt very fearful about changing schools, making new friends and basically starting a new life. I did not want to go.

Also, I was very upset about leaving my family behind, especially my Nans who I used to see a lot of. I was spoilt by both of them with sweets, chocolates and presents. I missed them a lot and they are no longer down the road. It all seemed very surreal of how all the planning and effort from my parents had gone into moving overseas.

We boarded a plane from London Heathrow for Brisbane and made the long tiresome day's journey to the other side of the world. The plane was taking off and there was no going back. All we had was our suitcases and the clothes we wore and that was it. We were completely alone with no family or friends out there. I was very worried because I knew it would be a stressful time and I honestly thought we might end up going back. “Was it really worth it?” I thought to myself.

For months we lived in temporary accommodation. The first month moving from place to place, living from suitcases and living mainly on junk food – pizzas and burgers. The last month having decided on Redlands we lived in rental accommodation in Cleveland, which felt more settled, but cramped with six of us in a two bedroom house. The only thing we could find for short term accommodation. I was homesick and at the end I was fed up of living from suitcases and sharing a room with my younger brother and even younger sisters. At first, it was exciting and felt like a holiday but reality soon sunk in.

On reflection, moving to Australia was a good thing, because I am happier here. I have made new friends at school. I like the better climate and our house is much nicer than our old house in England. I also think it is a better life style because I can go out more and know that I am safe.

Even with Great Britain beating the Aussies in the Gold Medal Tally hasn't made me want to go back to Britain!

I also hope, that one day in my new life, that I can still fulfil my aspirations of becoming a Doctor in Australia, as I had hoped to do in England and help sick people.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!