Virtual Perfection

It was raining, the same summers rain that everybody seemed to long for. The world was a blur and I stood there in the middle of all of it.
At first all I saw was a blur, then a figure started to form. It came closer, drifting almost, only stopping inches before me. His hair was plastered to his head, shirt clinging, eyes sparkling like the sea.
My heart began to pump harder then ever, almost keeping in time with the rain.
“I’ve missed you.” He said gazing at me “Would you like to dance?”
I smiled in reply as music began to play
The world was a swirl of colour and only he and I were in focus. I no longer felt anything but the smile that crossed my features. For the first time in days I was smiling again and it felt good.
Suddenly we stopped, he gazed intensively into my eyes making my heart skip a beat, then he leaned close, I closed my eyes as he…

“Time’s up! So how did it go?” asked Gina as she took off my helmet.
“He needs to be sentimental, more romantic and less straight forward.” I replied
“But it’s realistic.”
“Why on earth would love sick women buy it if it’s just about normal men?”
“True, so more dream like?”
“Yes and I want its improvements finished by tomorrow.”
“Tomorrow!?”
“I’ll need to have the prototype by Wednesday.”
“Wait, is that all?”
“Easy isn’t it?” I said with a wink
***
Tonight like always my apartment felt lonely and isolating. Some people say home is where the heart is but my heart was definitely not here. From its crisp white floors to its broad balcony, it was beautiful.
I sipped my glass of wine as I stared out at the world, its lamp lit streets and people was almost mesmerising. Yet from this I was some how distant.
Virtual reality helmet took me to a new world, a world of colour and splendour. Who was I to say no?
***
“It’s finished Miss.” said Gina as she gave me the helmet “Remember not to pull off the helmet before the safety switch is turned on. Or else you may just go down with the machine. You’ll have half an hour before we turn it off.”
I smile in reply and with that once again I was in a world all of my own.

Again it was raining; I knew it all to well. The rain poured down and I started to smile to myself. It was sweet almost cleaning. A figure started to appear again, and I knew exactly want to do. I heard Gina’s scream somewhere in the distance and then world was silent.
I opened my eyes to see nothing but rain and then I found him standing before me.
“It’s been a while hasn’t it?” he asked
“Yes, yes it has.’ I replied softly knowing fully well it won’t be ever again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!