The Shadow

Finalist in the 'Empowered 2008' competition

A shadowy figure sped across the horizon, clutching a sword, killing every unfortunate creature that came across it. Death fuelled its power. Left behind the shadow was a barren deserted land that once was lush green forest sprouting life everywhere. Its sword was almost as dark as the dark night sky, embedded on it was a jewel coated in darkness.
A fortified castle lay in distance and with no fear the shadow raced towards the castle surrounded by a moat and a treacherous cliff with jagged edges. The castle walls had stones as hard as steel jammed together. The shadow was closer, the speed stunning animals before they died a horrible death.
The men on the castle walls saw nothing but a beautiful forest being turned into a bare dusty land. Shocked by the transformation of the land the men drew their swords, uncertain of what was coming.
The shadow took no heed of the moat and drained all the water out just by going through it, replacing water with darkness. Clouds hung over the castle and a swirl of darkness came over. The shadow had chosen the next shadow.
Entering the castle the shadow slaughtered the men at the front gate with ease. The guards screamed as the Lord who lived there drew his sword with an encrusted ruby the size of an egg. Fleeing through the only gate the guards landed in the pool of darkness and their bodies dissolved into the air. An eerie silence filled the castle and the Lord moved slowly. His skill was renowned throughout the land and his swordsmanship and loyalty to the King had earned him a lordship, but there was a dark secret, one that would haunt him forever. A fire in his heart slowly turning dark, slowly, slowly.
Clutching his sword so hard he started to bleed. Blood oozed from his hands, dripping on the floor and making stains on the delicate rug. Approaching the banquet hall he was extra cautious. Turning round he saw nothing, for a moment he was relieved but out of the corner of his eye he saw a fiendish creature with darkness as a coat and darkness as a weapon.
“Who are you?” asked the Lord. A moment passed but there was no reply. Instead the reply was an attack, surprised by the speed, the Lord stumbled and fell. Coming for the final attack the shadow pierced the target wounding the Lord. Too weak to do anything he collapsed into a hopeless situation. The shadow stood there, summoning the dark arts required to convert the Lord. Pain and suffering was brought upon him as the darkness coated him making him into one of those things he swore to destroy.
The new shadow stood up, ready to serve his master.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!