A Change In The Weather

It was on that day long ago that I realised for the first time that it had all gone terribly wrong.

I was walking home from school. It was a mild day in the middle of spring and I was listening contentedly to the bird song as the sun began its descent. I was almost home. As I rounded a corner I found the sun glaring into my eyes, so I looked down. After a few more paces I looked up again to find that the sun was no longer glaring at me, instead there was a dark mass of cloud where the sun had been. A light breeze began to pick up, then after a moment it turned into a decent wind. Before I knew it the sky had been completely shrouded by darkness and rain had started falling from the storm clouds above. I heard a clap of thunder in the distance and started to ponder over the sudden change in the weather.

But I soon stopped pondering because then it all started to happen far too quickly for that. Suddenly there was a terrifying flash, as a bolt of lightning struck the earth not far from where I was standing. Only then did I fully realise the danger of my situation. I started to panic and ran for home through the now pouring rain and increasingly heavy hailstones. I heard a distant roar and turned around astonished to see a dark, whirling mass in the distance ripping through houses, trees and roads destroying anything that got in it’s way. This cannot be happening I thought as I began to sprint for home and the safety I thought, for some strange reason, that I’d find there.

I continued to be battered by the most fearsome storm I had ever seen. It soon became obvious as I rounded another corner and came to my street that there was no sanctuary here. Another storm had devastated this area and before me I saw scenes of destruction the likes of which I had never seen before.

It was then, as I stared at what was left of my home, that I realised that climate change was real. And life would never be the same again.





FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!