Saying Goodbye


I didn’t to be at a funeral. I would rather be at home on the Xbox, oblivious to the coffin, the flowers, the mood and most of all, my inconsolable mother.
Dad wraps his arms around her, muffling her sobs. No matter how tightly he held her grief is one thing he can’t protect her from. I stood silently, not knowing the right words to say.
This was my fault. If I had been a little faster, and seen the train, there wouldn’t be a gaping hole in our family.
I think Mum knew it was my fault, I had gotten a whisper out of Dad, but he probably blamed me too.
I wish they were there to see how hard I tried - Grandpa was. He had pulled me away from the little, broken body on the tracks and wiped my eyes with his musky handkerchief.
I had watched it for a while, as train controllers and passengers caught a glimpse of what I’d let happen and broke down. When Mum and Dad arrived, their faces were washed blank and tear trails glistened on Mum’s cheeks.
As we rose for the coffin to leave, I searched for Grandpa, and tip-toed down the aisle to stand beside him.
“They’ll be ready soon my darling,” he said with a comforting smile.
As the hearse pulled away from the church, we watched. People started their cars and followed, until Mum was the only one left watching the tiny speck in the distance.
I watched my parents crying at the cemetery. They were under an old tree, the afternoon sun shining down on their faces. After watching a while, I joined them.
Dad looked up but failed to make any expression.
“She just had so much potential,” he finally said.
I agreed.
“I should of told Ari every day Robert, every single day, how much I loved her,” cried Mum. I put my arm around her.
“Things will get easier Kate. We will learn to cope with this.”
Mum nodded her head, and for the first time since November 12th, she smiled.
“Amanda wrote a beautiful eulogy,” said Mum, wiping away tears.
We stayed there, until the sun was resting on the hills. It was nice to be with them, remembering the happier times when our family was complete.
“Is she watching us Rob?” Mum asked, after a lifetime of silence.
“Yes,” I answered for him.
They sat up slowly, and felt the breeze I left behind as I walked over to Grandpa who was waiting patiently.
It was the first time they had noticed me since I told them I was going for a walk last Monday afternoon.
“You did a good job today Ari. Your grandmother can’t wait to see you,” chuckled Grandpa.
I turned to watch my parents, arms around each other.
“Goodbye Ari,” Mum whispered.
See you later mum. The wind picked up my words, carried them over my shoulder and whispered them in her ear.






FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!