Ocean Blue

The rain soaked my jacket, each individual drop seeking me out before impacting on my shoulders, arms and head. Little by little my body was becoming numb and oblivious to the penetrating ice. The wind howled against my hood, screaming its wailing tune into my head. It had been like this for the last two hours as we battled to get ashore; the constant winds, the relentless rains and the throb of the motor; barely audible due to the storm. Occasionally there would be a crack of lightning followed by thunder which blocked out all other noise. The salt had filled my nostrils for the past few days, mingling with the smell of fish. We had what we were after, but at what price? Meanwhile we ploughed on through wave after wave after wave. It was almost hypnotic in its rhythm; the surge of acceleration as we shot up over the crest of the wave, then the smooth peace as we were airborne for a few seconds.

Despite these flying feats we were not making much progress towards the shore. I watched as I huddled at the front of the boat. The sea seemed angry with its wild frothy peaks and long curved bases. Each wave appeared as if it were building up to try and touch the sky. It would crumble as it charged forwards to the heavens, and then disappear into its siblings of unsuccessful waves. Each wave threatened to end us; they had the potential and, it seemed, the purpose. I shuddered, not knowing if it were from the cold or the thought.

Then, from amongst the army of waves, rose a Goliath. It almost seemed surreal; the sting of sea spray, the rioting winds and the stabbing cold. Piercing through all this was the sheer terror of watching this Giant bear down on us. We had no courage, we had neither stone nor sling, we were no David. Then it happened. The boat fell from beneath me. My mind knew that I was actually being flung upwards but my body felt the boat leave me. In slow motion I watched as my brother held onto the motor handle and clung to the boat. For a moment I seemed to be flying. For one moment I seemed to be dreaming. Time froze. The boat was still moving forward with the momentum of the impact. I fell from my dream.

My head hit the back of the boat, just missing the motor. I suddenly felt drowsy. That was until I hit the water. Instantly time was restored to its normal speed and sound found its way to my ears. My body was riddled with cold as its needles bit into my flesh. I saw a trace of red streak past me as my lifejacket thrust me back up to the surface. As the momentum threw me through the waters skin the wind took hold. I realised the red was still obscuring my vision. Everything went black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!