Gold Digger Mack

Gold Digger Mack, from the outback, had a terrible life if that.
He was burnt black, by the sun on his back, as it beat down upon his hat.
He dug at the ground, on a small little mound, with the end of his life in sight.
For many a day, he searched away, with little hope that was bright.

For the gold he searched, was way underground, in a place no man could go.
But he continued down, way underground, with all the strength he could bestow.
But Gold Digger Mack was a simple man, with hopes and dreams and swag.
He traveled the land, with a country band, and only what’s in his bag.

As the day grew on, the sun stayed strong and Gold Digger Mack was ailing.
Until he saw a spec of dust, his heart began a-pounding.
“Bloody hell” he yelled, “this is it, there’s more and more and more!”
So he dug and dug, with all his might, until his hands were sore.

“Eureka!” He cried at the top of his lungs, hoping to pull a crowd.
For gold was always what he wanted, to make his family proud.
He dug and dug and dug again, always finding more.
With all this gold, that he had found, no longer shall he be poor!

The more he took, the more he gasped; he’d discovered a huge amount.
He looked at it, a dead cert he’d found, the sheer value he couldn’t count.
At this thought he looked away, to see the nearest town.
But to get it there would be a trouble, the gold weighed a hundred pound.

He yelled coo-ee, to call the town, to help him lift the gold.
They heard the call and came together, amongst them young and old.
They gathered round, the hunk of gold, ready to rally the forces.
Then with a sigh, we moved along, with the power of a thousand horses.

Across the hills, along the tracks, and into the village square.
Through the town, and past the shops, and up to meet the Mayor.
He saw the gold, his face lit up; he let out an unholy roar.
“By God old Mack, she’s a bonza mate, the price is sure to soar.”

“Well come in, come in, I’ll value it, when I’m done I’ll be sure to yelp.”
Gold Digger Mack, turned to his cobbers and said, “Well thanks for all your help.”
He left the crowd, and went inside, to find the gold’s big price.
He looked around, liked what he saw, the Mayor’s house sure was nice.

The Mayor came in, they both sat down, waiting in excite.
The Mayor started, and said to him, “I’ll try to be forthright.”
“This find of yours, it is amazing, you sure are a lucky bloke.”
“I valued the gold, and if it was sold, it would send the whole world broke!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!