Uluru Adventure

Piccalo and Twitch were two VERY adventurous possums. Ever since they came out of their mother's pouch, they had been exploring different trees, and burrowing into rabbit holes. Though they're brothers, they didn't look much alike. Piccalo had short, grey fur, a long, bushy tail and wide eyes. While Twitch had soft, grey-brown fur, a long, skinny tail, and slightly smaller eyes. There was one thing they did have in common though. They both wanted to climb the big, red rock that lay just hundreds of metres away from home. As much as they wanted to climb, Burk the wedge tailed eagle was against them doing it.

"It's too dangerous", he would say, "There are dingoes up there that could tear you two to shreds. Anyway, the rock is huge, and your tiny!"

Ignoring Burk's words, Piccalo ran off to the rock, with Twitch close behind. They weaved in and out of trees and rocks, until they were just meters away from the rock. It was huge! A worn sign stood next to them, reading: 'Uluru Nature Park, no climbing without a permit and a ranger'. The possums didn't care. They would climb anyway. As determined as they were, this 'Uluru', would be harder to climb than they thought.

Twitch hesitated. Would they be able to climb Uluru? There is only one way to find out, Twitch thought. So he started bounding up the path, calling to Piccalo, to come with him. The two never thought there would be so much wildlife. They were leaping over echidnas, scaring off snakes, and attempting to race some kangaroos-but lost by a mile or two. The two were having so much fun, but the fun didn't last forever. They were at about the half way mark, when they stood face to face with a pack of hungry dingoes.

The two had never been so terrified in their whole life. The dingoes were five times bigger than they were, and five times more vicious. Piccalo and Twitch didn't know what to do, when an idea struck Piccalo.
"Hey look! An attractive looking dingo desparate for a man!"
Immediately, the dingoes looked directly where Piccalo pointed. Indeed there was an attractive dingo, but Piccalo wasn't meant to be telling the truth. Infact, who knew it was there at all?! They bounded up towards the top once more.

It had been about 12-13 hours since they'd left, back down at the bottom. Piccalo and Twitch were exhausted, and were starting to think they'd never reach the top-until they realised that they WERE at the top. The top! They'd reached the top! The possums looked at the magnificent view. They had never seen such a sight!

It took them half the time to get home. They had partied 'till dawn. They felt so happy. They claimed to be able to explore anywhere in the world. Piccalo and Twitch never felt more satisfied.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!