Lest We Forget

I have always thought about death. Ever since I joined the army anyway. I wondered how I would die. I always thought that death is painful, but what’s even more painful is when you lose those you have, killed by your worst enemies. I have lost my family already and this is the end of my best friend, Edmund.
“Morning Jessica.”
I glanced up from my bowl of cold stew, from last night, to see Edmund settling down opposite me, and as always, with a broad smile on his face.
“Morning Edmund,” I said as I started to jab at my stew again.
“Not hungry?”
“No,” I sighed.
“Didn’t sleep well?”
“Don’t be silly, with all these bloody shells and bombs around, how are you going to get any sleep. I am just glad I am alive. Couldn’t believe how many bombers flew over us?! Who knows which side they are on...”
“I slept all right.”
Sighs. “That’s because you sleep like a pig.” Whoops. Tongue slipped again. I internally kicked myself. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it, I was just…”
He mocked a pouting expression as he started on his bread. I tried, unsuccessfully, to put on an expression of disapproval, but that soon wore away into a smile. It’s good, sometimes, to have Edmund around because he never takes anything seriously, and has the ability to make a joke out of everything.
“What did you dream about?” I asked casually.
His face became an expressionless mask of stone, his body stiffened as he answered, “Home.” Grim silence greeted those words. Edmund, like me, had lost his family in a bomb raid. Too many people have been killed by these bloody Germans. Why must they start this war? Why must so many innocent lives be taken by this war? All these people, wounded or killed for what? Nothing?
“Ger-.” The voice was suddenly cut off by two distant shots, followed by a thud, as someone’s body hit the ground. Abrupt silence filled the room.
“We are getting overrun!!” A girl yelled, another screamed. Panic gripped the room as many chairs toppled over in the race for the door.

I got my trusty Bren gun, and dashed to the back door, with Edmund closely behind me. As I eased it open, another two shots was fired, this time much closer. I looked around the door. Yes! There were three Nazis there, all facing away from me. I heaved my Bren gun up, and aimed at the closest German. Ratatattat! The German toppled over. The other two Germans looked around. Ratatattat! The second German fell. But by this time, the third Nazi had hid his gun up and was aiming straight at my chest. NO! Two shots went off behind me. The man fell onto the others.
“Ta.”
“No worries,” he chuckled. I could imagine him with his broad smile, flashing his straight, white teeth.
As I ran around a blind corner, I was suddenly confronted by three Nazis, no more than twenty paces away. All of a sudden, I was looking down the barrels of three shotguns as each of them pulled the trigger. Time seem to pass so slowly, as my life flashed in front of me. My family; my friends; my childhood. Come on. Let this be quick. Let me leave this wretched, sin-filled world and journey to a better place. There was a sudden pain in the side of my body, as I was unexpectedly shoved aside. Warm blood splashed on my arm. I was momentarily stunned, then I started firing wildly, my eyes wide with horror. I didn’t care how many I killed. I didn’t care where my bullets went, anguish tears streamed down my cheeks. Once I ran out of bullets, I chucked my gun away. I stumbled over to where I was standing two minutes ago. There now was a familiar body, lying in a pool of blood. I couldn’t believe what had just taken place.
“Why?” the word seem to choke in my throat, as I cradled his head in my lap.
“Because…you are…like a …sister to me.” He managed with shallow breaths.
One single tear fell on his cheek. He flashed another one of his charming smiles, though weaker. Then with a shudder, he closed those emerald green eyes forever. Another innocent soul, taken by this wicked war. Why?
His life came to an end, just like each day would come to an end. However perfect his life was, however perfect the day was, it would always come to an end. Well, this was his last chapter. Lest we forget.

11/11/1946

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!