Camouflage

Sometimes we can see better without sight. For then we can no longer see the hazy silhouette of who we think a person may or may not be. I’m talking about judgment, a single impact that sets limits and holds us back. Me? I’m a prime target.

They, who have never met me, have seen me. They, who have never talked to me, have heard about me. Apparently that’s all it takes . . . all it takes to know someone. A few words from a dominant figure and then BAM! – Their mind is made up.

Imagine if there was no dominant figure. Each individual would be self assured and able to foster their own thoughts, strong and sure. They would have no doubt to unsettle the certainty for uniqueness would be honored.
There would be no more leaders to capture the easily persuaded. It’s sad how easy they secure their prey with just a few fragile words.

To tell you the truth, I feel sorry for the prey . . . the type that are so sure of themselves when isolated. However, when they are put in the crowd, so easily dig them self up and start the alterations. The alterations that make them like everybody else - allowing them to fit like a piece of an uncomplicated puzzle.
Comments have their impact, further layering over the modified individual.

I must admit, the ringmasters have used their same attempts at sabotage against me. Over the years, I too have been covered in antique dust, which not only gets up my nose but as I recently realized, dulls my shine.

It’s the long awaited time for me to fly through my own door and not the one that reads ‘Easy Acceptance’, in hot pink lettering. For on my door the lettering is written in gold and therefore worth an unimaginable amount more than tacky, pink plastic.
I must desperately start to whisper and with each breath blow off this antique dust. The wrapping that did cover me never managed to change what it concealed.
For underneath the thin disguise is much more fascinating, honest and fresh than any camouflage could ever be.
Underneath I am so well preserved, untouched, unchanged and free.
For no barrier is stronger than that of soul.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!