He Who Is Never There, But Always Here.

“Uh, hey!” A voice reaches my ears, and I cease my aimless stumbling, to turn around to face the owner. “I’m kind of lost… Could you tell me where I am?” I cock my head to the side in an owl-like manner and stare at him blankly. “But how can you be lost when you’re Here...?” He stares at me blankly for a few seconds as if I had grown another head. I tilt my head to the other side as he opens his mouth to speak.

“But I don’t know where Here is!” He blurts out. I blink and step closer, leaning in closer.
“Here is Here. How can it be anywhere else?” The man stares at me, and his eyes tell me he thinks I’m crazy. I don’t mind. “For one to be lost, one must not know where one is. You know you are Here.” He takes a step back. They always do. “You are not There yet. So, you are Here.” His eyes seemed to hold a degree of fear, but I push on. “You are not lost. For you, are Here.” He stares at me blankly. “Uh… yeah…” I take a step back in a slow, careless manner, bare feet sliding along the soft white sand. “Where is… There?”

My head tilts to a 90 degree angle, and he seems almost disgusted, as if such angles should be impossible. I have been doing this for years; it only stands to reason that I can manage the more owl-like angles. “There is There. The end of the road, the path... I am always Here; why would I know where There is?” His eyes suddenly turn sympathetic. So, he’s finally considering that I may just be insane. Endless white sand for countless years will do that to a person, I suppose.

He stumbles away, unstable and unused to the soft sands. I shrug, and turn away, sliding over the sands with experienced feet. “If you have anymore questions, just remember; I am always Here.” He turns back for a few seconds to glance at me. “Uh, yeah… good luck with that ‘Here’ stuff and all that… I’m outta here!” He speeds up a little, and let a smile cross my face.

If he walks far enough, or long enough, he may just reach There. Or he could end up like me, stuck in Here forever. I don’t mind at all though. I’ve gone through the speech countless times, it’s almost like a ritual; breaking in the newbies or a hazing ritual if you will. I wasn’t lying though, but it stopped mattering to me. Purgatory is my home now. For I am always Here.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!