Band Heart

It was a rainy day as our grade waited for the music teacher. She was in the other room photocopying something in the other room. We were bored stiff. Suddenly, Jane started playing the keyboard. The melody filled the classroom with smiles of joy. Von got out his guitar and kept up the rhythm with a pop beat. We stared clapping along and laughing. My friend Greg was dancing around and crashed into the drum set. We laughed as the rain stopped. The door burst open as they stopped dancing. “Excellent!! A masterpiece if I might add. I think you two should form a band. It is great for your report and you could enter the ‘Band bash barrel in a month. The rules state that you need at least four band members, maybe a drummer and a singer” she said looking at me. “We need auditions. Anyone who doesn’t attend will have detention for the rest of the week. I looked at her. “I want you to sing,” she whispered as the bell rang.

“Yeesh!” I grumbled to Greg. “She knows I’m a good singer. She knows I’m going to make it. She knows I have… never mind the last part, but it’s so unfair! I don’t want to try out!” Greg nodded motionlessly. “What’s the problem? You’ve acted strangely ever since we left school! What’s the hub bub?” I asked. “You should feel good that you at least have a talent. I don’t have any talent. I can barely clap my hands together properly without jumbling them up once!” he mumbled. I patted him on the back. “Sorry man” I said sadly. “But I’ll rather be you than have to go through this. How about you come to my house and I help you get a beat in the drums. My dad won’t mind. I hope,” I said. We entered the garage with caution. “My mum isn’t here so my dad must be in his room playing poker again. He’s lucky it’s just a game. He lost everything last time!” I said. Greg laughed. I gave him the drumsticks and told him to hit something. He did. HARD! “What’s going on?” my dad yelled from upstairs. “Nothing” I answered. There was a stomp of footsteps and Greg ran outside. My dad doesn’t like Greg because last year at my birthday party, Greg and me were pushing each other around. I pushed him and he grabbed me to stop falling but failed, I than toppled over into the pool while he landed on my birthday cake. The icing splattered all over my dad’s boss who was giving him a promotion. That got him mad and didn’t give it to my dad. I can’t blame him but Greg was still my friend because I started the pushing game. We rushed out as fast as we could. Greg jumped past the wall as I covered the edge with the wheelie bin. My dad’s face appeared just as I turned around. “I thought Greg was here,” he said loudly. I heard a rustle in the bush and froze. “Please don’t move Greg!” I thought. The movement disappeared in a flash. My dad flinched as heavy footsteps ran into the distance. My dad glared at me. “To your room now!” he ordered. I grumbled as I climbed upstairs without another word.


The next day, I blamed Greg for it. “I missed out on ‘Hallow’ the best rated series in the country! It was the final episode and I wanted to know if Dave decided to live in his world or in the magic realm! It was so tense on the other ones, but the last one was said to be the best one! Thanks a lot!” I shouted. He was close to tears when I finished. “What’s wrong with you? I don’t think you’re the type of person to cry when someone yells at you. What is in your mind now?” I asked. He looked up. He started crying. “I’m sorry!” he said and ran off. I chased half way down the school before tripping over a pebble. Greg turned around the corner and I didn’t see him for the rest of the day. When I saw his schoolbag in the hallway, I ran up to it, but it was empty. Than I noticed Greg’s bookcase, but there was nothing in it either. I was frustrated after I saw an empty desk and locker. “Where could he have gone?” I thought to my self. I only had ten more minutes. I asked a teacher but she didn’t know where had gone either. I ran over the school at least fifteen times before the bell rang. I was sweating and puffed out when I got back to my line up. I suddenly noticed Greg’s hat at the front. I ran up to the front to find Von wearing it. “What are you looking at?” he asked staring at my gaze. “I got this from Greg” he said happily. “Where’d he go?!” I asked. Von was taken back but pointed at the hall. I rushed towards it as the teacher came out. “Shouldn’t you be in line?” he said stiffly. I shrugged and dodged past him through the door. My principal was in there with Greg’s parents. Greg was hidden in the corner, not very well I must admit. The principal turned around and glared at me. “What is the meaning of your entrance?” she asked. I looked at Greg and than at Greg’s parents. “I just want to know why Greg was avoiding me today” I said softly. Greg’s parents glanced over to their shoulders and smiled. “We’ll explain it to you” said Greg’s dad.

“Your what!?” I shouted after he explained. “Yes, I’m afraid so. I don’t want to but I inherit my father’s home after he passed on. I can’t sell it or give it away. Either I ignore my father’s last wish or I had to pay $1000,000 not to keep it. I can’t leave here without Greg or his mother so I’m afraid we have to move” said Greg’s dad. I felt bad. “When are you going?” I asked. “Next month” said Greg. “Why are you packing than?” I asked. “You still have a whole lot more days left! You didn’t have to clear your locker”. “I didn’t pack it, I moved it because the stench of being next to the gym in terrible and I begged our principal to move. I‘m here because my mum and dad have to explain that we are moving,” said Greg. I sighed and slipped back to my class. Greg and I had a talk at playtime. “Greg, if we never see each other again, promise me you will forget me” I said. “What? Why?” asked Greg. “Because, the more you remember me, the more pain you must face. You don’t want that do you? We all want to be happy while we are still alive. Maybe we might have lived before, we might have been famous and smart, or poor people who still have hope in our hearts. We will never know. Just forget me and never remember my face, what I am and who I am. It’s alright Greg,” I said. Greg put on a happy face. I knew deep down he was in pain already.

After play, we did science. I was partnered up with Pudding. That is her nickname. He real name is too hard to say so we call her pudding because that is what she likes to eat. She is a kind person loves everything. She likes to pretend she is still a kid and play with a toy mouse that she pretends is real. The mouse is the weirdest looking thing I had seen. It had a big, fat, ugly nose. I find a nuisance when we are doing science because when pudding is carrying it, it could drop in the formula we are mixing. After that, we made our way to the music room for the auditions. The music teacher, Jane and Von were the judges. I was at the back of the line because the best thing about the back was that you got to see who was your competition. Pudding was for singing. Her voice wasn’t terrible, but if I were to sing worse than her, it would be a very difficult job. I listened to Debra who was better. She could be my big break. I was after Greg. He gulped as he started playing a slow beat. He smiled and drummed louder and faster. “Go Greg!” I said. He started hitting it louder and louder until our music teacher said stop. I was next! I walked through the door. The teacher smiled. “Ahhh! Finally, it’s you” she said. She put in the CD I had given her and the song began. It was called ‘I never’. It was a slow and steady song. When it began, my mouth moved n it’s own. What was going on? It was up to the chorus and I was way ahead of myself. When it ended, I was shocked at myself. “Oh my God!” said Jane. “I never knew you were that talented!” Von was speechless. “I think we have found our drummer and singer!” said the teacher.

The next day, the announcement for the singer and drummer were announced. “The new singer for our band is Travis and the drummer is Greg!” she said. I congratulated Greg but was feeling down because I was the singer. We practiced for the band bash barrel the next week. “We’re getting better and better everyday,” said Von. “I still say we should have a girl singer,” mumbled Jane. “I don’t want to do this,” I said. Jane frowned. “I don’t mean because your bad, I just don’t like being the only girl. It gets boring having to listen to your boy topics,” she said. I suddenly had an idea. “Why don’t we have a violin player? We could mix our music with classical music. I know the perfect person for this job” I smirked. Jane shrugged. “If your getting another boy, I am going to quit caring,” she said. I laughed.
After practice, I went to class to find our new band member. She was sitting at the front still playing with her mouse.

“Me in your band?” Pudding asked. I nodded. “Really!” she smiled. I nodded again. “Thank you! Thank you!” she thanked. She tucked the mouse in her pocket and grabbed her violin. I pulled a cloth over her head. “I want to surprise everyone” I smiled. We walked to the music room with Pudding trailing behind. Von was half asleep on the floor and Jane was playing knots and crosses with Greg. “Who would like to meet our new band member?” I asked. Everyone except Von looked up. “Who is it?” asked Greg. I pulled the cloth off to reveal Pudding. “Pudding!” screamed Jane. She hugged Pudding. “You’re the greatest,” said Jane. I smiled. We taught Pudding how to put her skills together with ours. When she was used to it, the music sounded better and better. “The band thing is next week right?” asked Pudding. Von nodded. “Well,” she said. “Why don’t we use my song as well? We are allowed to play two songs right? Besides, I can’t play it by myself. I need a nice beat and stuff”. “Okay” we all said.

The band bash barrel bus arrived and we jumped in the bus with the other band people. “Hey there” said a friendly boy. “My name is Craig and my band’s name is ‘Louder than you’. “What’s your band called?” I looked at Jane, Pudding, Greg and Von. They shrugged. We didn’t have a name for our band! I looked around and my heart started thumping loudly. I put my hand on my heart and said “ ‘Band heart’. We’re called ‘Band heart’” I smiled. The drummer in his band snorted. “What a wimpy name” he laughed. “Hey everyone! This guy’s band is called ‘Band heart’! How wimpy is that!” I grumbled and sat back down. Craig sighed. “Sorry about him. He’s always like that. He thinks his the best. If there was a better drummer at our school, we wouldn’t have chose that idiot” he apologized. “Don’t worry. I got that name off the top my head” I said.

When we arrived, Greg was nervous. We were after Craig’s band. Von and Pudding tuned their instruments and I sang a bit. Before the competition started, we all made a deal. This gave us extra courage and we waited for our turn. Every band was tough competition and we were nervous. “Next up, we have... hey kid, what’s your band’s name?” asked the announcer. “Band heart,” I answered. “Band Heart is up when their ready” said the man. I took a deep breath and waited for everyone to get ready. We walked on stage and took our positions. My mum was in the front row with Von and Greg’s mum. Pudding’s brother was talking to Jane’s sister. Everybody went quiet as I walked up to the microphone. “ONE, TWO, THREE GO!” shouted Von. The sound vibrated and I started to sing.

“Sometimes when I remember, all the pain come back into my heart. I live to only smile, not fall and forget everyone around me. Can’t you just see, this is me. I want to be glad for everything. I want nothing more, than to be your floor, to guide you to inner peace. Friends last forever and we consist to be one. When the light disappears, I forget the years, of when I left you in my thoughts. Goodbye forever, I wish for you to be better, so we can look out to those memories”.

I sang. Everyone clapped when the song ended. I swear I saw a tear trickle down Greg’s face when they started chanting our band’s name. We waved to the crowd and walked off stage. “Yes!” cheered Von. He dropped his guitar and jumped up. “Wow!” smiled Craig. “You guys are so cool. I wish I could play as well as you”. I smiled. “Thanks, but your band wasn’t that bad. I liked the song,” I said.

When all the other bands were done, the host stood on the platform to announce the winners. “In 3rd place and a pack of twenty five Cds of their choice and $250, Fairy Dust!” he shouted. A group of girls cheered and ran onto the stage. “In 2nd place and a chance to go diving with the fish in the aquarium and $385, louder than you!” Craig’s mouth dropped open. “ We actually came 2nd!” he said. His band stumbled on stage and collected their passes. “Now,” said the host. “We announce the winners who will get a chance to travel the world as the youngest band to ever and play for people at their own concerts, get $1000 and have a chance to record with me! Here is the envelope, which would determine the honor. Hold on! The envelope is empty? Where is it?” he asked. A girl ran up on stage and grinned as she passed him a note. “You dropped it on your way here” she smiled. We sighed. That guy was absent minded. He blushed and took the note. “Sorry” he muttered. He coffed at the microphone took a deep breath. “The winner of the band bash barrel is… Band Heart!” he said. We were shocked at our achievement. I gaped as the girl caught my attention and we walked on stage. Everyone cheered and my mum was so proud of me. The traveling was to begin next week.

As soon everyone had congratulated us, we went to the back to have a talk. “Remember that deal we made at the beginning?” asked Jane. Von and Greg nodded. “Well, we will have to keep that promise than since we won!” she cheered. I smiled as they went off. I stood there to think things over. At the beginning, I had made a deal with everyone saying that if we came in one of the top three rankings, we wouldn’t separate or let anyone else join the band no matter whom they were. We also made our own personal deals. Greg said even if he left, he would always come back to visit and we would play in the Salvation Army dinner for free. Jane said she would donate her time to the less fortunate by donating some of our prize money. Von’s one was to rub it in his sister’s face. Not a very good idea but it was his choice. Pudding’s was to put up a stand for toys for ten cents each with a help of her mouse of course. Mine was to forget my stage fright for the rest of my life and become what I was made for, to be an inspiration for young singers who also have stage fright. It was a wonderful day for us as we went out the door. My face was gleaming with joy and Jane was pinching me. “Wake up and stop standing on my foot. We’ve been invited to a party. The catch is we have to play our song,” she said. I nodded and we all went there. After that day, I was no longer afraid and I now stood up on stage with pride.

Dear Mum and dad,
I’m on the bus right now. Von is putting his head out the window like a dog, Greg is annoying the driver, Jane is playing card games with Pudding and I’m sitting on the roof. “Don’t worry, the bus has stopped. It’s like those RVs. We’ve played for the people of Hawaii already. They’re really cool people. I wish you guys could have come along. We also received a lot of free stuff. In Tasmania, w got free CD players! In New Zealand, we got free sheep toys. They go baa baa if you rub their bellies. Hawaii gave us some coconut statues. Mine still smells like milk. Well, hope you guys don’t miss me too much or not miss me at all! By the way, if a package comes to the door for me, don’t open it or anything. There is something very special in the package, okay? I’ll show you what it is when I get home.
Bye, from Travis.

When I arrived home, I showed them the contents of the box. “ALBUMS! You’ve got albums!” exclaimed my mum. I nodded. “We’ve all got them! We also made a song called ‘freaky faces”. It’s just about your face and my face.


Two years later, I was standing in the hall next to Von. He was half asleep as usual and I was sweating, nut I didn’t even know why I was up there. I was in high school with Von. No one else from our primary school was there. Von toppled over onto me and started snoring. I started shaking as I slowly put him on the ground. The students staring up at us were shaking too. “Well” said Mr. Cannier, our principal. “You two… Can you wake up Von please”? I nodded and shook Von around. He yawned and stretched. “He reminds me of my cat,” said the assistant principal. He stood up. “You two were two of the winners of the band bash barrel from two years ago right?” said Mr. Cannier. “Yes” yawned Von. “The school council has prepared something to surprise you,” he said. I gulped. “A surprise?” I whispered softly. There was a loud boom at the door. “It’s pull! Not push!” said a familiar voice. “You idiot! Didn’t you read the sign? It’s pull!” said another familiar voice. “I know! I know!” shouted another one. “Do you know who that is?” I asked Von. He was wide-awake and was smiling uncontrollably. “Oh boy, do I!” he answered. They finally got the door open and I fell with surprise. It was who Von and I thought it was. “You’re so slow at this,” said Pudding as she tips toed past Greg and Jane. “It’s you guys!” I said. Jane, being the sensible one shook my hand while Pudding and Greg went nuts. “It’s a band reunion. We couldn’t find a band to play at the disco so we asked your friends. They all said yes so now it’s up to you two. “I’m all for it” said Von and gave Greg a high five. “I as well” I nodded.

At Six pm, we arrived at the hall early. Von was helping with the decorations, Jane was plugging in the lights, Pudding was preparing the stage, Greg was playing around with their instruments and I was moving the chairs out of the way. The teachers were dumbfounded when they entered. “What a place!” exclaimed Mr. Cannier. “I wish you children were house decorating people! I would hire you in a second! When all the other students came in, I tested the microphone. “Testing, testing. 1, 2, 3!” I said. Everyone looked at me and I started sweating again. “The first song will start in a minute. Please enjoy yourself,” I said. I drank some water and waited for the guys to get ready. When they were, I sighed. “1,2,3,4 go!” said Pudding. We decided to play Puddings song so she was the first to start playing. She moved her bow over the violin as fast as she could, making it sound much better.

“Lots of years ago I saw the light. My life was in pain. I knew nothing more. It has been two whole days and I’ve forgotten. It’s been two whole weeks and I’ve been lost and it’s been two whole years, the moment’s last forever! I want the world to stop so I can breathe. I want time to pause so I can try. I don’t want to be gone from life altogether”

I sang. Everyone was dancing and clapping along. I smiled when I didn’t have to sing in the middle. Von was yawning again. I wanted to laugh. After that, we were laughing. Everyone was because Von had collapsed on the floor because he was so tired! We all tried to wake him up but he was fast asleep. We couldn’t play our next song without him. “Oh Von!” we all sighed.

So that is the last part of my story for now, but we all know one thing, there is no such thing as the end. Just remember, you aren’t unable to do it, you just don’t trust yourself. One day you’ll see what I mean.

To be continued…

By Manie

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!