Ballerina Necklace

I could hear the rain hitting my window hard, the tree’s blowing and as if running a relay. I looked up from the book I was reading to see all that nature had to offer. Every now and again a bird flew past flapping it’s wings wildly even though the wind was carrying them. “Holly! Are you dressed?” I heard my mum call from somewhere downstairs. In case you where wondering, my name is Holly Spencer and I am a dancer. By ‘Are you dressed?’ my mum means ‘Are you ready for dancing?’ because according to my watch, class starts in 10 minutes.

When I arrived to class I was wearing as many layers of clothes as a polar bear, as soon as 15 minutes was up I was down to a shorthaired cat. I could feel sweat dripping from my forehead and slowly trickling down my cheeks. I leaped, and landed, then twirled, and finished, then posed, and ended. I was nearly the best in the class, the only thing holding me back was Stacey. When you compared us together, she was a feather and I was a pebble.

Stacey Collins was one of those girls who was absolutely perfect. Perfect hair, perfect eyes, perfect nose and the list could go on. She was loved by everyone and always innocent. But it wasn’t her looks or the love that everyone had for her that held me on the edge, but the fact that she was better then my at the thing I am best at. Dancing.

When class finished I went strait to the locker room. Once there, had a drink of very berry cordial and picked up my bag about to leave. “Holly!” I heard someone call in a fake, sugary voice. “Just wanted to ask you if it would be alright for you to move back a bit when I do my cartwheel because I might kick you.” I twirled around to see non-other than Stacey. She looked at me longingly with her bottom lip sticking out in a pout. I sighed heavily, then nodded and rolled my eyes. “Thank you so much!” she called as she walked off ahead of me. “You are so considerate!” she added, acting as if she had just won the lottery. I trailed on slowly behind and as I walked something silver caught my eye. I walked over and carefully picked it up. It felt cold in my hand and as I looked at it more closely I could make out the shape of a ballerina charm hanging loosely on a silver chain. That’s when I noticed. The clasp was done up, which implied that no one had lost the necklace, they had intentionally planted it there.

I lay on my bed and held the ballerina up to my nose. I wasn’t sure what to do with it because something was stopping me from giving it back. I carefully clasped it around my neck and felt a sudden pang as the ballerina hit my chest like ice. As if I was being controlled I stood up in front of the mirror and began dancing steps I had never been taught. I pirouetted and leapt and as if by magic done a perfect split. Suddenly my eye’s drew to the ballerina hanging loosely on my chest, the ballerina was shinning a smile and dancing with me. I couldn’t stop myself, it was a fabulous feeling as if I was flying.

When my next dance class came I was not prepared to give the ballerina up. I decided to wear it but because we are not aloud jewellery, I wore a scarf which covered it up. I was delighted when mum pulled up in front of the building and I hopped out of the car immediately. I actually had a chance in the spotlight with this necklace. I went into the locker room and put my bag on a hook. I slipped on my jazz shoes and ran into the studio.

As usual within 10 minutes I was just in my leotard. I was doing great and for the first time out dancing Stacey. “Holly, move to the front!” All of a sudden I felt my insides flip with excitement. I felt like a professional. “Miss!” an ear piercing voice cried out. “Holly’s wearing jewellery!”

“Is that so? Holly I’m afraid I’ll have to confiscate it until the end of class,” I felt my insides flip once more but this time not of excitement. “but… I won’t. Did you find that?” I nodded shakily and slouched my shoulders. “I believe it’s mine. I’ve been looking for it for quite some time.” As she said this the thing that shocked me most was that Miss Celeste did not look angry, more amused, like a puppy fetching a ball. I reached at the back of my neck to undo the clasp. “No need to give it to me, I found that myself when I was about your age, it made me happy and more confident in my dances, but I think I should pass it on now.” Miss Celeste smiled a big grin at me and winked.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!