Through My Eyes

Everyday I see trees blowing in the wind, cars buzzing down the street, people passing me by, laughing, scowling, staring. There's so much to do, I have to be everywhere, I have to see everyone, say everything. How do I look, will I blend with the rest of society.

Finally the day draws to a close. The sky explodes into an array of colours and the sinking sun throws the world we know into darkness. Someone is walking in the distance, but you can't make out any of their details. The church steeple that is camouflaged amongst the other rooftops during the day suddenly stands out, this unique shape dark against the sky.

As I sit and watch, a whole new world appears to me. As a single car slowly disappears down the street, I wonder who it is and where they could be going. The different colours in the sky provoke me to feel different emotions. When it seems like it is a world of fire, I feel alive and passionate. When it's awash with soft blues and purples, I sit calmly and complete. Blazing gold creates a warmth deep within.

When everything is a silhouette, it tells a different story. Billowing trees become majestic witnesses. Signs are unreadable, and I wander the streets like I'm lost. The towns rooftops blend together to make a new world I long to explore. I hear a loud car coming closer but when it appears, I can't see its shiny new body kit or expensive label. My neighbour left their clothes on their clothesline, but who can tell whether they are designer pants or daggy jeans. One house stills keeps their fire blazing, and its smoke creates dark patterns against the sky.

I go to return home, and turn at the door to catch one final glimpse of the world. And just before the sun disappears below the horizon, I see a couple walking. I can't tell how old they might be, but the love they display completes the scene.

As I close my eyes to that world of peace, serenity and equality, someone else opens theirs and sees something completely different.

The perception of the world lies in the eye of the beholder.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!