A Child's Laugh

The laugh of a child is as precious as gold. There is a twinkle and a light flashes on in the child's eye. The mouth curves upwards and slowly, slowly it begins to open and the small, sweet sound escapes. But that is not what Dezuli is thinking as he quietly scales the walls, holding the barely visible knife in his hand. He opens a window, oh so softly and steps in. The silent of night is not yet disturbed. One step, then another forward towards the grand bed. A small creak escapes the wood as Dezuli lays his foot upon it. He stopped, frozen, ears alert for any noise but the ten-year-old boy merely turned in his bed, still asleep. A lot was riding on this - ten thousand gold Wells. He must get it perfect - no blood, no evidence.

Inside his shirt concealed inside the seam was a small packet of white powder. 'Just sprinkle this in the child's eyes and he will sleep forever.' the old alchemist had told him before giving a cracked laugh. Deluzi took another step. He was almost there now, only a few more. Then he heard a small yawn outside and Deluzi stood, frozen. He waited a few moments, making sure the person was not coming in, before continuing.

He stood beside the bed. The boy was sleeping peacefully, his silk robes hugging his skin. Under his feather cushions no doubt lay a jewelled, sharpened dagger but Deluzi was careful to avoid any confrontation. 'Just sprinkle the powder in his eyes. People will think he died in his sleep. It is not uncommon for children his age to fall victim to such diseases.' His master had said just hours before. He used the knife to cut open the seam and brought out the packet of white powder. Gently now, gently. He schooled himself as he held open the child's eye and slowly poured the powder into it. Not too much - just a dash. He let go of the eyelid and counted to three. When the boy made no movement, he proceeded to the next eye. A pinch of the powder spread itself over the eye and dissolved leaving no trace of its existence. He climbed out of the window when he heard a small twinkle of laughter. A child's laugh. The man gave a smile of satisfaction. His job was done.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!