Missing Out

The first time I saw her, she was walking past my house. Just hobbling along slowly. She wasn’t that old, maybe mid-forties, but she moved as if she had already hit eighty. There was nothing particularly special about her; I might not have even noticed her if our eyes hadn’t met as she walked past the old jacaranda next to my driveway. That was when I realised that she hadn’t taken her eyes off me for the entire 15-metre journey past my house.
From then on, I kept a lookout for her, and started noticing more and more. She always carried a mesh shopping bag, which never had anything in it; she favoured her left leg slightly, producing the shuffle-like movement that had caught my attention. And she was always looking. There was no malice in her eyes, just curiosity, maybe even wistfulness.
She always walked alone. I learnt that her husband had died in a motorbike accident years ago. She hadn’t talked to anyone since. And over and over again, I heard the word ‘strange’.
“She’s so strange!”
“Isn’t it strange?”
“What a strange person!”
Laughing, I agreed.

She lived in a house a few doors down from mine, but for some reason I had never noticed her. Well, I can’t be expected to know about everything that’s going on!
So I just watched as she walked back and forth past my house, catching glimpses of lives displayed in open windows. I sometimes wondered if she was trying to remember her own.
I noticed a lot of other things as I watched this woman. The neighbours’ old cat had gone, and had been replaced with a small black fuzz ball with emeralds for eyes.
The couple across the street had a baby girl who stared in wonder at the blue sky and laughed like a crystal chime when her mother made a face at her. I hadn’t even noticed that she was pregnant.
I watched a family say goodbye to their old Volvo with chipped and rusty paintwork and welcome instead a new four-wheel drive, and for the first time I began to wonder about my neighbours. What were their lives like? What did they love, what did they hate? What made them laugh and cry? I wanted to know everything I could about the people who surrounded me. The people who, until now, I had barely taken notice of.

I invited neighbours for dinner, parties, coffee, anything I could think of really. And slowly I learnt more and more. Only then did I realise that I wasn’t the only one in my world. Only then did I realise what I had been missing out on.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!