Dangerous Security

The vrooming machine noise stopped in the secretive silence of the office. It was a worrying moment; it was an unnerving moment. A solitary tear fell down the side of my nose to hang at the edge of my tongue. It tasted intimidating as it stuck in my throat with the foul smell from my breath.

“Can I help you?” she had smiled in a polite, professional sort of manner. I was at the museum asking for history assignment help. Soothingly, his pet bird chirped from inside and jumped from perch to perch. She was an understanding young lady. Her wavy hair was the flow of water and her eyes sparkled behind her glasses as she enthused about the ancient mummies and wax statues. I had no hesitation in following her into the workshop to see her creations being made.

It was stuffy inside. Stuffy and claustrophobic. Claustrophobic and dusty. Dusty and secluded. The ancient mummies looked strange- fake perhaps? As I proceeded to look around, my nose took in the putrid smell. I stepped deeper into the darkness as I waited for the woman to return with the information. Her dinosaur’s fossil was in the hallway – step - and another mummy was leaning on the wall - and I was beginning to feel a little shaky on my feet. Despite my discomfort, my attention was aroused. Was that mummy yelping “Help”? Was it slightly moving? It was all becoming a little suspicious... Like a mind with no thoughts, realization struck me - just as the vrooming noise returned.

With eyes of evil, the archaeologist neared. I struggled with my chaos: hot, hot plaster- smothering down on me – sticky – humid – breathe – arms push – legs kick – no oxygen – pants, pants – nothing to see, black or was it white? Floating...floating...

Proudly, she carried the new mummy into the exhibition hall. “There’s a new mummy today,” she announced to the spectators with a smirk on her face.

Written by Dana You.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!