Dark, Dark Ocean

The weak moonlight shone down on the boy, illuminating his clammy face, shining with sweat. His breath came in panicked gasps as he tried to think straight.
Don’t panic. Don’t panic. Think it through. Don’t panic!
Why had they left him here to die? He could feel the cold, salty water lapping over his bare feet as he clung to the dinghy, stinging at the cuts there.
Oh no. He could just see the pale grey triangle cutting through the still surface of the ocean, a dark, threatening shadow underneath.
Closer it came, closer and closer...
It veered off to the side, and continued to circle the sinking dinghy.
He tried to focus on keeping his breathing steady, and failed entirely. What can I do? Boat’s sinking, sharks in the water, middle of the night, no-one for miles... “HELP!” he cried in utter desperation, but there was nobody to hear.
Clinging to the top end of the ruined boat, he felt sharp splinters dig into his palms and feet. He moved one sweaty palm slightly, and suddenly lost his precarious hold on the deteriorating vessel.
He was slipping, falling –
Freezing, dark, suffocating wetness closed over his head. He inhaled burning, fiery water into his lungs – choking...
His head broke the surface, and he coughed up the hated muck clogging his body. He gasped for air, thinking, Alive! I’m still alive! But then he saw the shadow – too close.
He wished he were underwater again, only to be oblivious to that ominous, powerful predator coming for him, arching its back, ready to strike...
He knew it was futile, he knew he had no hope of survival, but he swam for it anyway, adrenaline pushing him faster than he had ever gone before, and yet not nearly fast enough –
Searing, wrenching, tearing pain burst through his body as the shark made its move. He screamed, more water choking down his throat.
The sea turned red.
Minutes later, helicopter blades sounded in the distance, a searchlight illuminating the dark, dark ocean.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!