Mayflower

The factory looms ahead of me. As I walk in, I see a staircase. The wood is soft, but I place my feet gently, heading upstairs. The first thing I see is an old man sitting in the corner of the room. He looks up at me. He holds out a shaky hand and shows me a mayflower, without saying anything. I take it from him, frowning.
“Please take it to my wife’s ghost. She needs it,” he croaks.
I am puzzled as to what this man is saying.
“Sir, I’m afraid I can’t do that. There’s no such thing as ghosts,” I say gently.
He looks at me pityingly.
“Climb to the top of the crane. She will be there. I am too old to take the flower to her,” he says, wearily.
I gasp. The crane is about two hundred metres high. How am I supposed to climb it? Instead of refusing, I nod and take the mayflower. I walk back down the stairs. The air of the street is thick with the intensity of silence. The great yellow crane rises ahead of me. I feel like the concrete is going to open up and swallow me whole. I reach the ladder and put my foot on the first rung. The metal is cold under my warm fingers. I climb higher and higher. I make the big mistake of looking down. My head fells dizzy. One of my hands slips off the bars as I try to balance myself. I shriek, my voice echoing over the whole factory, bouncing off the buildings.
I take a deep breath and climb on. I don’t even know why I am doing this. It may have been the look of pleading in that man’s eye that is keeping me going. I reach the top of the crane. My hands grip the hard metal as I haul myself up. I lie there flat on my face for about ten minutes, trying to convince myself that I am not two hundred metres up in the air - that I am at home, safely tucked up in my bed.
Finally, I peel my face away from the surface and look up. There, I see what looks like a wisp of smoke in front of me. It slowly starts to change shape. It twists and turns until finally, it takes the shape of a person, but not just any person - this figure is transparent. She smiles at me and I realize she is old. She holds out her hand, and I know exactly what to do. I place the mayflower in her hand and nod. She smiles.
As soon as the flower touches her hand, it becomes transparent and she starts to float away. I watch in awe and drink in the scene. For the first time in my life, I have put my own needs and fears aside to do something meaningful for someone else. It feels good.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!