2590.

There’s a plastic bag tumbling by my feet,
The air is smoky, my lungs struggle for breath.
The world has collapsed.
I am the only living human left.
I have a raggedly beautiful teddy placed in my lap; I named her Maisy, she is my only friend now. I hugged Maisy tighter against my body, a strange warmness filled me as I stared into her beady eyes. I was born into an already dead world, a world that had experienced centuries of abuse.
I cough and wheeze, fighting to get the air into my lungs, a fight I’ve been playing more often these days.
I cover my mouth with a piece if hessian and slowly rise from my crouched position.
I pull Maisy up with me, we walk by the labs, all the lights are off and nothing has changed.
The concrete walls stand strong as always. I wish I was a concrete building, never dying, never loving, therefore never losing.
I close my eyes and count to ten, softly, desperately hoping that when I opened them again, I’d be in some beautiful place, surrounded by people that love me, I open my eyes, disappointment floods through me; as I see the land before me, a long stretch, barren in appearance.
I’ve never contemplated killing myself; I’ve always thought there must be something that was worth sticking around for, honestly, I’ve run out of hope.
The steel lab doors are cold on my finger tips, I push them open, a fresh breeze brushes against my face, it’s a big room that I’m in now, almost like a hall.
My eyes wander over to an old mirror, I see a little girl, staring back at me, her clothes hiding her limp frail figure, her long brown hair draped over her shoulders, a fringe once cut nicely by a hairdresser, now hung untidy on her fore head.
The girl’s body was covered in cuts, and her face was almost hollow now.
It was time for her to go.
I look away from the mirror, gripping Maisy’s hand all the more tighter.
The wall I’m facing now is lined with big glass tanks containing frozen bodies,
I know they’re in there, but I’m not brave enough to look for myself.
I put Maisy in my pocket and go over to the last remaining empty glass tank,
I look out the window of the building one more time, then we step inside.
‘until next time, world’
“Come on Maisy, we’ve done our bit.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!