The Longest Second

The ocean swelled, bobbing my boat as I waited for time to pass. The ocean is the only reprieve from the torture on land. I looked into to the glassy water, thinking about fish. The last fish was long gone, eaten in a Japanese restaurant; bones were the only remains of the once glorious creature. The ocean is empty now as I sit, thinking, waiting. I still throw a line over now and again, old habits never die. Grabbing the rod in two hands, I slowly doze off into the depths of my mind.
I am suddenly jerked awake by an ice cold wind wrapping around me like a tornado. The sky is pitch black, like a burnt out fire. The city lights are like fireflies, until pollution got to them.
Hugging my charity claimed jumper closer to my body I prepare for the long drive home, when my rod dips, then struggles hard. A sudden adrenalin rush surges through me, blasting my heart ‘till it threatens to stop. My numb hands find the reel and I turn it over and over again, my mind racing with a thousand thoughts a second. I look down into the dark water, hoping beyond hope it is what it is. With a sudden burst of speed on my part, the fish flies through the water and lands with a bang on the bottom of my tinnie. The silver fish lies gasping for air as I take it all in, too stunned to move, too stunned to even breathe. Possibly the last fish in the entire world is in my boat. If I take him back, he will be subjected to life in a pool with nothing but the four walls that imprisoning him to stare at. But I would be rich, beyond my wildest dreams. Any thing I would want I could own. If only we had listened, acted sooner; could this have been prevented? If so, I wouldn’t be making the biggest decision of my wretched life. On impulse, I pick up the fish and there, in his deep eyes is the answer. Why should we, humans, dictate someone else’s life; we can’t even manage our own. I lean over the side and let him go. Mesmerised I let him slip through my fingers, as I sit, thinking, waiting.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!