New

Once there lived a pixie called Talli. Talli lived in the wilderness and everything was as old as she remembered. She didn't know how she came into the world or who her parents were. In this world nothing was new. One day Talli saw a couple of beautiful fairies talking about something called 'new'. The pixie decided to find out what it meant. First she went to a lovely red robin who was roosting nearby and asked him if he knew what new meant? "New is something that is born to earth." squawed the robin in reply. She thanked the robin and continued on her way. Next she went to her favourite big gum tree. "What is new?" Talli asked. "New is the beginning of great things, but don't ever try, for it is forbidden...." Whispered the tree. Finally she found her best friend Charm the rabbit. "What is new and why is it forbidden?"
"Arrrr new is what you belive, but it is forbidden for numerous reasons." Said Charm.
"Such as??"
"It brings change which many don't like and some things can go wrong within the chance of becoming new." Charm replied. Talli once again thanked her and set off back to the gum tree. When she reached the gum tree she cried, "Oh my dear gum tree whatever shall I do?"
"Sleep for now little one" replied the gum in a wise and loving voice. Talli soon found herself asleep beneath her beloved tree who had served as a mum and dad to her for many years. The next morning Talli woke up and had a great idea. The sun was only just rising but she got up anyway. Her pixie senses helped her to find a withered flower. She asked the flower if she could have its seeds and of course it said yes. When Talli got back to her gum tree she found a place nearby and began to plant the new seeds. "What on earth are you doing Talli?" Sang the tree. She replied by telling gum tree all about 'new'. The tree did not object but listened intently. After the pixie had finished with the seeds she called every creature in the forest together for a meeting. She told them all about the wonders of 'new'. At the end of the meeting everyone had agreed to Talli's idea - get together once a week to dance, sing and have dinner around a camp fire. Share stories and laugh until the early hours of the morning. They all seemed to think it was a good idea although it was breaking the rules to start a new club. The last thing Talli did to bring something new to the world was to start a family of her own. When she was old enough she found a lovely boy pixie. They had their children, and their children, and their grand children, and their children, and their great grand childrens children and of course their great, great grand children who are you and me. So technically, we are all desendants of Talli and we all helped bring change to the world this very day. The end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!