I Never Got There


I felt helpless. But that wasn’t all. I was afraid. How many times had this happened to me? None, this was the first. I wasn’t really helpless. I could walk, I could talk, I could laugh and I could cry. I could do anything, everything, but I didn’t want to. I only wanted to sit and cry. I was ashamed. Why did I do it? I don’t know. Maybe I felt sorry for him, maybe I did like him at one point, but let’s face it I never loved him. I ended it because I couldn’t go on like that.
From the moment I convinced him to come to the party, I was embarrassed. I know it’s harsh, but he wasn’t, isn’t, dating material.

I stood on the sand and looked out at the sea. The place I loved. I could be there for ever. That was it, the moment I decided this would be the last place I would see, that I would feel, that I would hear. This dangerous, rip infested surf beach.
I had never swum here before, because I’m not the best swimmer, and this place was only really for the experienced.
I turned and looked up at the sand dunes I had known all my life. I laughed, I’m not sure why, but I did, as soon as I laughed a tear fell onto the sand. More followed it. I was more scared than I had ever been before, yet I still knew this was the only way.
My toes sunk into the wet sand. The water covered them and I shivered. It definitely wasn’t the right day for a swim. I wasn’t going swimming though so it didn’t matter. Soon I was fully immersed in the saltiness of the water. The waves threw me about. I didn’t have much control. I managed to swim, until I found one of the infamous rips. Then I relaxed. I let it carry me out.
I swam down until I couldn’t hold my breath any longer. I screamed and the salt tore at my throat, I started to swim upwards but I knew I couldn’t make it. I didn’t have the breath, or the strength, or the will. And that was it I never got there.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!