Just Another Normal Day

Just Another Normal Day

You wake up in the morning and the sun is shining through into your classy penthouse bedroom.
You yawn as you stretch out and put on your silk dressing gown.
The fabric is cool and smooth against your skin as you walk into your bathroom, filled with full length mirrors and beautiful oak walls.
After a warm shower you get dressed in your new designer outfit, ready to show your friends at the office, and then you walk down to the garage and hop into your Bentley.
A usual start to a usual day. No one take any notice of you. Nothing is different. This is the way it’s always been…



In the corner of a bustling mosque I sit in my mother’s lap.
A shawl is draped over her head and shoulders. I wear nothing and my ribs protrude like butterfly wings to an ignorant crowd; every limb a matchstick; every facial feature blunt.
My mother is a skeleton suit cased in skin, eyes red and sore as she gazes blankly at the ground.
No one pays us any attention.
No one really cares.
There are so many of us, all the same, lining the mosque, the city, the country, the world.
Nothing is different. A usual start to a usual day. No one take any notice of you. Nothing is different. This is the way it’s always been…

The rich and the poor…

The starving and the full...

The dying and the dead.

And on with ours daily lives’ we will go, you to your high paying job in a high rise, fancy office, and me to the streets, where my mother died, where I roam searching for food and water. Nothing is different. This is the way it’s always been…

Emma Bryant
Yr 9 Kadina High School

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!